Shinko + Motorcycle Superstore = SOL

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmcandrew

Reaction score
Need to blow off some steam with my fellow Maxers...bought front/rear Shinko 230s from MS and had them mounted & balanced...took for a ride and I could feel a hop starting at 35mph that really sucked at 45mph (cruising speed). Brought back to the shop that mounted/balance for re-check and all is fine. Brought it home, jacked the front, yanked the calipers and guess what??...tire has as at least 1/8th if not 1/4 runout (side to side). F'ing thing looks like a Flintstone wheel!!! So I call MS customer service and I get this response "they are a cheap tire that we wish we didn't sell and you'll need to deal with the OEM that will take approx 8 weeks to resolve"...well F-me...that's nice but how about some f'ing CUSTOMER SERVICE...no offer for a replacement or store credit...just a huge shaft up my arse!!

lesson learned...NEVER a stinko & NEVER Motorcycle Sh!tstore again...and I mean NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to hear, bro. i personally don't run them, but their track record on this forum is exceptional. guess you got one of the rotten apples. but i'm with you, MS should back whatever product they sell. if they wish they didn't sell them, then don't.

Sorry to hear that. I just replaced my shinkos with me880's. The shinkos were ok but the front tire always felt a bit squirrely. The rear wore out in less than 5k miles. I'm not bashing Shinko but I won't buy them again. I could instantly feel the difference between the me880's and the Shinkos. Although the shinkos weren't "bad" the me880's just feel more stable at all speeds.

Like I said...just needed to vent some steam...I just purchased the Metzler Lasertech for the front from local shop that takes care of its customers...I'm not so disapointed with the tire as I am with the retailer...being a small business owner (CPA practice) I'm a bit over-sensitive to what customer service means...

Thanks for listening...

I won't buy them either . Radials at the track were inconsistent and squirrely at 8-9 / 10ths on the Gixxer 750 . Stick good 1 lap , goes away the next turn . Price is outstanding . Straight line , no problem. just can't trust 'em . Went to Michelins same afternoon , same bike & set - up , no problemo in the turns .

From the MC superstore policy....

Tires must meet the following qualifications for a warranty return:

• Tire must have a minimum of 1mm of tread depth
  • Tires must not have any road hazard damage, including but not limited to:
    • Plugs, patches or repairs
    • Nails, screws, staples or holes
    • Liquid Sealers or liquid tire repair
Please Note - Warranty processing may take up to 8 weeks and is subject to the individual manufacture's policies and discretion. Motorcycle Superstore cannot guarantee a refund, replacement or repair of the item. Manufacturer warranties do not cover items determined to be normal wear or due to customer negligence.

From the Shinko website:

NOTE: All Shinko warranties MUST be processed through the dealer the tire was originally purchased from.

So they have to deal with the manufacturer. Call back again and remind them of this.

This is a fairly common practice. Tires are a big liability and the retailer wants no part in any potential lawsuits that arise from faulty tires. A lot of places won't even accept them back....they direct you straight to the manufacturer. So you ship it back to them, they ship it to the manufacturer, they examine it at their leisure, ship a new one to MCSS, who then sends it back to you. That's why it can take "up to 8 weeks". Of course there's no reimbursement for mounting/balancing fees, and if the manufacturer declares the tire is fine, your SOL.

This isn't the first time I've heard about problems with Shinkos. People have reported uneven wear, cupping, balance problems, squirrely handing, vibration, and now this big run-out. I wouldn't run them, especially on a bike like the Vmax. You get what you pay for and tires(like helmets) aren't the place to pinch pennies.

I returned some stuff to MCSS once and didn't have any issues, wasn't even their fault, I just didn't like how it looked and sent it back.

I used ms once. They shipped promptly. Bought a rear Michelin commander 2. Was happy with it. Recently put new tires on my new 205. Forgot where they came from but they are Bridgestone exedras. Great ride.

Exedras cost $200 over Internet, $100 installed by Sehorn Yamaha of Shawnee, OK.

I guess Shinko is a decent drag racing tire....plenty sticky but as Rollie said, not dependable.

I put a set on the nitrous max....couldn't wait to burn them off and get back to Metz's! Think it took about 1K mi! :biglaugh:

I put on some shinko tourmasters and they have been loyal since inception last June. I dont ride all that often, bit I do know I like them since they handle well in the rain. Very sticky tire and hard to do burnouts with for sure.

As to the Avon Venom X tires, they become slicks in the rain....had them on my 1995. Great for dry roads, but worthless in rain....

Just my 2 cents

Like I said...just needed to vent some steam...I just purchased the Metzler Lasertech for the front from local shop that takes care of its customers...I'm not so disapointed with the tire as I am with the retailer...being a small business owner (CPA practice) I'm a bit over-sensitive to what customer service means...

Thanks for listening...

I've run a few sets of Shinko's and had some issues. It's a hit or miss with the Shinko bias ply. Once the rear tire was lined with weights but ran ok. The Side to side run out was very bad at 5k on the rear wheel. When I went to Dyna beads I ended up using extra in both tires to smooth them out. The bias ply seem to get hard when older. They are cheap, and very sticky when new and a good rain tire. They don't last very long. A one season tire for me at best. The Shinko I'm getting ready to remove is running out too. I hear great reports about Shinko radials though.
The Metzler z6's I just mounted are hard as a rock compared to the Shinko's.I hope it's because they're new? I bought them at Bike Bandit. I hope I like them. I'm one seal awy from mounting them up, can't wait.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I just installed a brand new Dunlop OEM tire on the rear of my Max and experienced the VERY SAME ISSUE. It ain't just Shinko that'll produce a bad apple once in a while.

I have run Shinko's on the rear, about 7 of them w/o issue other than short life span. The most mileage I got out of one was ~6500 miles and the least was a little over 4000 miles. The one front Shinko I had didn't work at all for me, it cupped and generally felt squirrely and was off well before 5000 miles.

Next time try Avon Venoms, getting harder to find but I think they are excellent.

O

I didn't have good luck with the Venoms. Locked up on braking too often to suit me. I have R-1 dual piston on the rear . Switched to Michelins 2CT , no other changes , no rear wheel lock up on quick / hard braking .

If you like the Venoms , MC Superstore is having a big sale right now + Bridgestone & Metzelers , Two Bros & Leo Vince exhausts , River Road leather , Kuryakn chrome stuff.

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 1166.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 1166.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
The bike had Venoms, but they were old & cracking. I think I have an issue with Warrior's accessment...MS is putting all the burden on the customer. I need to ship it back to them (MS) at My expense...I have to wait 8 weeks for a possible replacement (the OEM may decline a replacement at which time I have NO recourse). I know too many other suppliers that will ensure customer satisfaction...regardless of stated company policy. They were not willing to work with me at all...no future business is the outcome of that decision. If you don't stand behind the products or services you sell you have ZERO customer service.

As to the Avon Venom X tires, they become slicks in the rain....had them on my 1995. Great for dry roads, but worthless in rain....

Just my 2 cents

I found then downright scary in the rain also. There's no tread on the center of the tire....

I have run Shinko's on the rear, about 7 of them w/o issue other than short life span. The most mileage I got out of one was ~6500 miles and the least was a little over 4000 miles. The one front Shinko I had didn't work at all for me, it cupped and generally felt squirrely and was off well before 5000 miles.

OMG! Shinkos get double the life of the avg OEM Dunlops then. I don't think I've ever seen over 2500 miles and about the least I've gotten would be this last one at only 1700 miles. I just keep punishing my wallet with the raised white Dunlop OEM's because........well......because that's the only tire that ever looked like it belonged on a Vmax (to me). V tread pattern. Raised whites. Purdy. :biglaugh:

I’ve tried a few but Avon tires have been amazing for me. I've run multiple sets by now. They grip very well (even in the rain for me - I live in Portland Oregon for pete's sake), all the way over to scraping foot pegs in a tight figure 8, which I learned it will do taking a Total Control riding class. They last (even with some very hard riding). You can get them V rated as opposed to H rated (like Metzlers). I run stock sizes which are the AM26 Roadrider 110/90V-18 in the front and the AM42 Venom 150/90VB-15 in the rear. Denniskirk.com has been a great dealer – fast, cheap(er), and the date codes on the tires are always real fresh.

Latest posts

Back