Short rant about the USPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
2" of snow yesterday....carrier was "unable to deliver due to the storm"!

STORM? :ummm:.....2 inches of snow?

I was a rural carrier in the Adirondacks for 5 yrs and never missed one fuckin' day of delivery! You carried sand, shovels and when the going got rough you crawled under your vehicle to put the chains on....but to return to the PO cause it was a little slippery? Shit, you'd be laughed right off the job!

That's three days of non delivery in the last week and a half. :bang head:

My Grandfather would turn over in his grave.....he was a rural carrier along the Canadian border back in the day of horse drawn sleighs and bricks heated over the woodstove to keep your feet from freezing!

"An inscription on the James Farley Post Office in New York City reads:
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

I guess that inscription has been temporarily suspended until after the snow storms clear your area?

It's all just part of that "change" we were promised.

No wonder they are having trouble staying afloat without a taxpayer bailout.

Reminds me of school closings here in Lexington. 1 inch and it's a day off for the kids! They even closed it a couple times, not because of snow, but because it was COLD. In the single digits. We have had 10 "off days" already this year, and they've had to extend the school year by a week. Absolutely rediculous. When I was a kid in Ohio, if it was a foot of snow, you were going to school!

Cant it all be attributed to the pussification of America?

Why yes. Yes it can.

Hel!, when I was in my late teens, and early twenties, I drove a little Datsun B210. I bought a spare set of wheels and had regular snow tires mounted up and ready to swap out in case of bad winter weather. I also went down the a local headstone manufacturing company and loaded up 10-12 pieces of their leftover granite and marble. Probably had over 600lbs of it, and would fill my little cars' trunk with it right after putting on it's snow tires.

Fun was had by all when I'd head off down the street with that setup and begin 'drift busting'. Even trekked across KS to Wichita area to see my GF a couple times EVEN THOUGH the officials at KDOT had announced the hwys to be CLOSED. Best, most peaceful trips I ever made on those highways, with nearly zero traffic to contend with.

Danny, comes down to quality of today's worker and insurance liability.

Working in the transport industry for 20 years now, I can attest that today's drivers (in general terms) are no where near as good as years ago. Unfortunately, this will get worst in the next few years as the driver shortage worsens.

Insurance now plays a huge part on whether trucks roll or schools stay open or not during adverse weather, etc...

Mike

I see US Mail "jeeps" with chains on them around here sometimes. 2ft, I could understand, but 2inches.....wow

I reckon Maxcruisers on the money.....
Sorry to say but you live in society where everyone wants to sue someone for something.....snow falls...kid slips over on ice in playground...mum and dad sue the school.....and the brain dead judges and lawyers support their case and award against the school.....so of course they panic when they see snow...
Same with the delivery drivers...all health and safety rules...if he slipped over in your snow covered drive you can bet ya ass someone would be getting sued...

I reckon Maxcruisers on the money.....
Sorry to say but you live in society where everyone wants to sue someone for something.....snow falls...kid slips over on ice in playground...mum and dad sue the school.....and the brain dead judges and lawyers support their case and award against the school.....so of course they panic when they see snow...
Same with the delivery drivers...all health and safety rules...if he slipped over in your snow covered drive you can bet ya ass someone would be getting sued...

That I can understand...but where does it stop? Inherently life is dangerous....your not gonna make it out alive.

I guess eventually we will all stay inside (all nice and safe) and stay wrapped up in a bubble suit. I get the feeling that Vmax's wont be around in that society.

when I was young, I walked 20 miles to school in the snow and 40 miles back home being chased by aliens in the snow.

second the Pussification of America

Since I work for UPS I will just have to say we would of got it done ;). Here is a hypothetical for you. Mail carrier bust ass for years to deliver in snow. One time runs late or gets stuck in snow gets dragged into office written up or suspended. Now says F'it if it snows I am rolling stops screw those bosses. Just a option lol..

While it could be a "quality of workforce" issue, it also could be a budgetary issue. Post office has been closing offices, making cuts, etc - it may be a matter of the Post Office jumping at the opportunity to tell their workers to stay home to save some money.

Latest posts

Back