Slow kill switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
Ok so I have this weird problem: with the motor running, when I hit the killswitch, it keeps on running, usually for a number of seconds, until it eventually cuts off. :confused2:

I have already dismantled the kill and reserve switches and given them a good cleanup, 1500 sandpaper on the contacts and dielectric lube. It made no difference, though.

Anyone has any idea how the killswitch circuitry works? Is it grounding the ignition? Is there a relay? :ummm:

I could, of course, go through the electrical diagrams but I thought it's be a good shortcut if someone here knows what the deal is with this thing..

Ok so I have this weird problem: with the motor running, when I hit the killswitch, it keeps on running, usually for a number of seconds, until it eventually cuts off. :confused2:

I have already dismantled the kill and reserve switches and given them a good cleanup, 1500 sandpaper on the contacts and dielectric lube. It made no difference, though.

Anyone has any idea how the killswitch circuitry works? Is it grounding the ignition? Is there a relay?
:ummm:

I could, of course, go through the electrical diagrams but I thought it's be a good shortcut if someone here knows what the deal is with this thing..

Yes, the energized kill switch powers up the Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay, as well as the fuel pump relay and ignitor.

So what you're saying is that my Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay is sticking?

Also any idea where that is located?

I think you will find the SCCR behind the left-side scoop. Should be a four-pin connector.
But before messing with that , check to be certain the problem is not the kill switch. Disconnect the two wires at the switch, then jumper them together with a short length of wire. Then start the bike. Pull the jumper wire off, see if the bike shuts down instantly.
Gotta run, me Mum needs some groceries. Will check in again, as soon as I get home. I don't carry a "Smart" phone. I'm just too dumb to own one.
Cheers!

He doesn't have a SCCR, he has a 2000 model.

Fred, as per the Clymer manual, a dedicated SCCR is used from 1993 - on. It is shown on the 93-2000 wiring diagram, with a detailed drawing and testing procedures (for continuity) on page 301.
It is also shown on Mr. Morley's wiring diagram for north american 93-2000 models.
Cheers!

does it shut off instantly with key??? i never use the kill switch waiting for it to go bad then stuck, just use the key, have to turn it off anyways to walk away with it...

Yes the key turns it off straight away. I just don't like things not behaving as they should, especially electrical ones on the Max after my 'Christine' experience with the ol' 86..

I'll have to look for that SCCR and check out both it and its connections :)

Fred, as per the Clymer manual, a dedicated SCCR is used from 1993 - on. It is shown on the 93-2000 wiring diagram, with a detailed drawing and testing procedures (for continuity) on page 301.
It is also shown on Mr. Morley's wiring diagram for north american 93-2000 models.
Cheers!

Of course it is... I was thinking of sidestand relay... Sorry for the misinformation...

When I tell my dog to drop the ball it always takes a couple of seconds for him to do it, so maybe your bike is just a little smart ass. :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back