So just how hard are solid mounts to install?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pageophile

Reaction score
Hello All

So I've got a set of solid motors mounts (PCW Racing), read the install guides (X5) and have the Cylmers Manual.

It sounds like a real bitch to install these but in the end it's worth it from everything I've read.

How badly can I screw up my Max if this install goes sideways?

Any additional tips, tricks or advice?

Thanks in advance fellas,

Page

Not hard at all, I have them in mine. Took a bit of 'massaging' on the fronts as they do not give during installation like the stockers do.

With the exhaust off you can pivot the motor up and down to get them in pretty easily.

With the exhaust off you can pivot the motor up and down to get them in pretty easily.

Uh huh... :whistlin:

Get a lot of the blue 3M masking tape and put multiple layers of it on anything painted that you DON'T want scratched...

I haven't put them in but I have put a motor in... It sucks!:bang head:

However I am VERY anal about paint scratches or flaws...:whistlin:

Uh huh... :whistlin:

Get a lot of the blue 3M masking tape and put multiple layers of it on anything painted that you DON'T want scratched...

I haven't put them in but I have put a motor in... It sucks!:bang head:

However I am VERY anal about paint scratches or flaws...:whistlin:

I didn't remove/reinstall the motor as much as I reinstalled the frame around the motor. It was not fun.

Hardest one is left rear. You have to grind a flat into it as the stock one is. Use a rubber mallet to pound them in. You will have to protect your frame with lots of cardboard and tape since you will be using a prybar to move engine around. You will need two bottle jacks or small floor jacks as well. Use a rope to attach to handlebars and to ceiling in garage tp prevent possiblity of bike falling over on you when you're getting "hot and heavy" into the action.

I just did the solid motor mounts a month or so ago. It is a pretty long, involved job, but it's not particularly hard if you are mechanically competent. Most of the work is pulling the exhaust, rear tire and rear axle. Once you get all that taken care of, there's not a whole lot more than getting the motor unbolted and moved around so you can get the old mounts out and the new mounts in. I used the directions I found on vmaxoutlaw.com.

Admittedly, I have a motorcycle lift in my garage (locks the front wheel in place and lifts the bike about 3.5 feet off the ground) which made the job quite a bit easier. But even without a lift, it's not THAT hard.

I haven't hit the twisties with the bike after doing the motor mounts so I don't know if it's helped out with the chassis flex, but there is a bit more vibration. At 70+ mph, there is more vibration in the pegs and handlebar, and the mirrors get pretty buzzy. They're still useable, but not nearly as clear as they were with the stock mounts. It's not especially annoying--just letting you know.

I prefer the mirrors in the stock location. I was thinking about filling the handlebar with lead shot to see if that helps.

Of course, I've been meaning to do that on my Z1000 for a year now and still haven't gotten around to it.

Back