Some questions about the pumpkin

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

After all, it wasn't the axle. With a new axle it still creaked. Probably the imperfect lineup is not the axle but all the parts around it. Pumpkin, roller bearing, spacer, bearing etc. Since I couldn't find any part that looked like the cause of it, I left it as it is. I`ve gone ahead and cleaned everything, polished the hub`s pins and put it back together.

Also, the new bearing is in and check the difference in freeplay with the first movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6si1shsKdI

A lot better :). Also, with two bearing in, there`s no freeplay at all anymore.

Fun pic of the 'tool' I made for getting the retainer out:
pumpkin2.jpg

And: The final result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a3aR_CMuP8

Nice and quiet again :).

gonna hijack this thread. I have a differential for a royal star with vmax gears installed in it. Changing tires so thought it was a good time to install it on the royal star. And if you look at the diagram in post 1 of this thread the question I have when I pulled the differential out the drive shaft came with it and when I pulled the drive shaft out of the differential the seal and washer (number 35 and 36 were behind snap ring 38) Diagram shows them behind snap ring 37 which would put them in from of snap ring 38 the small end of the shaft that goes in the motor. I bought this 96 Royal Star Standard brand new so its never been apart. Where are 36 suppose to be located. Up on the front end (small end) of the shaft or down by the big end that goes in the differential ?

If when you pulled the driveshaft out the entire splined coupler came out with it then the rear diff is broken.

I had to take the snap ring and oil slinger washer off and then get the shaft with the seal to come out then the shaft came out and the spring. Just confused because the shop manual shows everything on the other end except the spring. So easiest way to put it. I the diagram correct on the location of the seal and washer ?

I'm not picturing it. The shaft itself has the seal that is pressed on then the washer and snap ring. There is the second snap ring at the other end of the shaft.

The pumpkin should ONLY have the spring as a loose component and even it presses a little over a shoulder inside the coupler on the end of the pinion shaft.

Sean

I found a picture on ebay and mine was right. the diagram in the manual shows them in the wrong place. It shows them on the end with the black arrow in front of the red arrow. They go behind the black arrow as mine were installed. Thanks for the help !

Attachments

• vmax shaft.jpg
    vmax shaft.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
Back