soon to be a VMAX owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extreme78

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new to the site and looking to buy a VMAX for the 09' season. Im looking for a used one, most likelly 2000' and up. Anything that I should be aware of shopping for the bike, any important changes, recals etc...Any help is greatly apreciatted.

Hi extreme, welcome to the site. There aren't any common problems with v max's '00 and up, that I'm aware of. Just look it over good, you should be alright.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Welcome to the site ExEtReMe:clapping:

I see this isnt your first motorcycle purchase. So I am sure you know the basics of checking out a bike before buying. First and most important, no test drive before purchase run!!
When riding the bike make sure the transmission shifts and nail it in 2nd gear to make sure it doesnt pop out.
The biggest thing with these VMAX engines are to NOT over rev them, they dont like to see anything over 10K RPMS yes they will pull up to 11+ but you will find yourself with a noise in the engine after awhile..
I believe it was 98 and up is when they had decent transmissions in them. Your safe with the 1998+ models being that they were maintained properly.
Post questions lots of VMAX gear heads here with years of expierence. There are a few guys from NY on the forum.

Hi guys, Im new to the site and looking to buy a VMAX for the 09' season. Im looking for a used one, most likelly 2000' and up. Anything that I should be aware of shopping for the bike, any important changes, recals etc...Any help is greatly apreciatted.

+1 to that - as far as I know '98 & newer had the best of everything the factory had to offer - beyond that is whatever mods (if any) you like best. I'm mostly a stocker, but check out some of the bikes on this site - some real experts with unbelievable talents & mod. ideas. No limit but the sky (and your wallet). Good luck - post pics when you score your first 'Max - lots of Brothers here...

now's definitely the best time to buy...

since u have other bike sthen you know what to check there, but as lankee said you definitely want to take a test ride and really gun it from first into second into third and make sure second never skips or drops out.. thats probably the only main issue you may run into. any questions specifically on a specific bike take pics and post them up! u will get tons of feedback i'm sure..

now's definitely the best time to buy...

since u have other bike sthen you know what to check there, but as lankee said you definitely want to take a test ride and really gun it from first into second into third and make sure second never skips or drops out.. thats probably the only main issue you may run into. any questions specifically on a specific bike take pics and post them up! u will get tons of feedback i'm sure..
One thing is that when you gun it, remember the vboost. You wanna make sure you're on a good straight section if your going to hammer it up through 3rd first time on it, everybody seems to remember their first vboost .:biglaugh:

If you hurry you can still get my 05 while it's still together. Should be some pics of it here somewhere.

Sean Morley

Make sure you go through the fuel injection system really well...

After that check BOTH turbo's and make sure there spooling properly...

After that check the ABS for any rough brake feel...

After that make sure the chain is lubed nicely...

When your done checking all of they above you will have a great running bike...:eusa_dance:

Make sure you go through the fuel injection system really well...

After that check BOTH turbo's and make sure there spooling properly...

After that check the ABS for any rough brake feel...

After that make sure the chain is lubed nicely...

When your done checking all of they above you will have a great running bike...:eusa_dance:
:confused2:

It was intended as a joke.

On a serious note this forum is the best. The people here truly care about the vmax and are willing to help in ways you can't imagine!

FWIW, I saw the humour in it. :biglaugh:
And +1 on the knowledge and resources available on this site.

It was intended as a joke.

On a serious note this forum is the best. The people here truly care about the vmax and are willing to help in ways you can't imagine!

yea i know man... just my attempt to follow with the humor...

haha fail on my part!

It was generally the 85 models that had a bad second gear. Check to see if it has been updated if an 85. In 93 the vmax gained better front brakes and a slightly larger fork tube diameter. Ignition sysyems changed also in later years.

If you are buying used and will be wanting aftermarket pipes/rear wheel for radial tires/USD forks etc. than look for a bike that aready has some of these modifications it will save you a bunch compared to adding these to a stocker later.

Back