Sound After Turning the Key On

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I am new to the Zmax, only had it home a few days now. My question today is this: Should I hear any sound after I turn on the key and before I push the start button? I do hear a sound and it sounds like a solenoid or a gas pump, it only last for about 2 seconds.

Is this normal? Thanks for the info.

If you turn the key off without starting it and then back on you may hear it again, you may not. If you continue to do it you will get to a point were it doesn't do it. Bit disconcerting the first time, huh?
;)

along with the fuel pump cycling to fill bowls you will hear the winning of the vboost motor going to full open, then close then a faint sound while it takes up the slack so three whins, and clicking of the fuel pump if the bowls are not full, as mentioned a few cycles of the key and if all is working the pump sound wont happen til you start it up.

Thanks all of you. RaWarrior thanks for the link to the intro thread, it was good. Right now I am thinking about two issues. First, the leaking of dot 3 or 4 fluid from under the bike. Am going out in a little while to see if any dripped then see where it is dripping from. Am thinking if it is clutch fluid, seals may need replacing. Second is wobble or instability of the front end. Thinking the issue may be steering head bearings and/or fork seals. Saw a youtube on head bearings but it was not very good. Saw Sean's video on adjusting the tension and replacing the front seals.

The fluid is antifreeze. Traced the drop to a hose connection. A fatter larger hose where it connects to what looks like a thermostat housing. Yea!

I tightened the radiator hose but it looks to still seep a little. I think there is a small hole around the clamp I just cannot see. Anyway, it is the fat hose at the bottom of the radiator. The Yamaha part no. is 1FK-12578-00-00.

The cost online is around $13 with $12 shipping. They are making money on the shipping because the post office has a box that can be used for no more that $4.

Anyone got a suggestion on buying this part? Thanks.

Take it off & go to your local parts store, like auto zone. See if they will let you compare it to hoses they have hanging in rack behind counter. Look for one with correct bend & diameter. It will be longer on one or both ends. Get it and cut to needed length.

I did this for the lower & upper radiator hoses on my VenMax. I found 1 hose I could get them both out of.

Gary

Take it off & go to your local parts store, like auto zone. See if they will let you compare it to hoses they have hanging in rack behind counter.

+1

Also, your local service station will probably have the size you need too and probably get it cheaper too. like if you go to your yamaha dealers to by a thermostat you pay a pretty good penny, but if you go to O'reily's, Autozone, or where ever, you can buy the same thermostat for under $6.

Thanks alot. Those are both excellent ideas. That is exactly what I will do.

A common place for these to leak coolant(especially in cooler weather) is at the radiator drain petcock...it can dribble down and appear to be dripping off the bottom of the rad. Follow the "wetness" trail up and see if it's coming from that plastic nut that has on/off (the rad drain) written on it. There's an o-ring in there that tends to leak.

Mine always leaves a small puddle of coolant on the floor during the winter but never leaks a drop during the summer. Yamaha wants some exorbitant amount for a new petcock, so I just ignore it and put a pie tin under the valve. Dump the pie tin into the puke tank in the spring, good to go.

Back