Stage 7 guys

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
When running the breather hose off the oil cap..what happens to the crankcase breather? Is this still used or sealed off? If used where does it go to?

It's still used. The stage 7 kit comes with a puke cannister that has two ins and two outs. The oil filler breather goes to one in, and the crankcase vent to the other. The two outs fasten to the front two air filters.

Mark

Mark does it matter to keep the same diameter hose going into puke can and going out? Or even necessary to have a puke can? I've got limited room to guide hose up through carbs (Mikuni flats). I currently have hose going out the side attached to a K&N filter however I'm noticing a lot of gunk spraying out of the filter and onto the back half of engine on that side. I'm want to clean this up somehow. If i can use a more flexible hose I can probably do it. Is there thin walled heat resistant hose I could use?

D

With stage 7 you put an orifice that press fits into the crankcase vent. That keeps the oil down. Kloker might have some ideas on crankcase ventilation, he's using 39mm Keihns.

Mark

I had alot of the same questions you have. There is a restrictor that you press into the crankcase vent to prevent it from purging oil. The hoses on my kit were dry-rotted and the puke can leaked so I removed all of that crap. I went to Lowes, grabbed about 6ft. of half inch hose, ran the oil filler cap breather and crankcase breather up to a plastic half inch "T" joint, another short half inch hose to another "T" joint and then used the 2 open ends of that joint to run half inch hose to the front 2 K&N's.

Long story short, I don't have a puke can at the moment.

Mark/Ghost

Sounds like the restrictor will solve my problem..where can I get it? Lowes or someplace else?Size of it? Pic of it if possible?

You can call DJ's 800 number. Just ask for the vent orifice from a Vmax stage 7 kit. I'm not sure if that's enough venting or not. You may have to add another breather to the oil filler cap.

Mark

Mark or anyone

Any chance to get a pic of the vent restrictor? Or a detailed description of how it's keeping the oil down?

D

D, I don't have the restrictor in mine since I'm running the modified air box. The stage 7 kit I have was a hand-me-down so don't have it.

Check this link out, there's an illustration of what the restrictor looks like. It's in Figure D. The part number for the orifice is DJ7011.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf

Mark

OK I see..I guess I will have to call DJ... I still would like to know if there is any sort of mesh in there or if its just restricting the size

Let me ask my buddy, just installed his kit last week.

Mark

No mesh, basically just a washer about an 1/8th inch thick and the diameter of the hose with a tiny hole in it about the diameter of the point of a pen. I'd bet you could just drill a hole in something to restrict the purge.

I tried re-installing the OEM oil filler cap and just running a small filter on top of the crankcase breather but the crankcase pressure was too high and would stall out the motor.

I did run just the crankcase breather up to a single "T" joint and then to the K&N's to help relieve some of the CC pressure and that did alleviate the stalling but I would still recommend running the second breather from the oil filler cap. Those 4 filters are pulling in a ton of air, the more breathing, the better in my opinion.

Ghost

When you put the oil cap back on and ran the crank vent with the filter, did it have the restrictor in it (this caused the motor to stall out?). If so I guess I won't use a restrictor but will try and do something else. I guess I should look into a STG 7 hose set up as well...don't want to lose my Otec oil cap if I don't have to

Yes, it still had the restrictor in it. I didn't even know about the restrictor until recently. This VMax has been a learning process for me, too. I'm sure I'll screw it up a few times before I get it right.

Back