starter relay problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc49

Reaction score
Need wiring help.starter just clicks, jump big terminals and it starts.problem the small red and white and blue and white wires are hot when the key is on.i dont understand how the start switch is activating the relay if both are hot.i ordered a new relay and dont want to ruin it.i thought at least one has to be ground and one is hot only when the start button is pushed.its a 91 vmax but the relay with two wires is showing only in 93 and up schematic.

The blue and white wire, on the early Gen 1's anyway, will trip the solonoid when connected to ground. I'm assuming the starter button does just that. I'm not aware of a change there.

Thats what i dont get.if i unplug the relay and test for voltage at the plug both wires have power.but when you hook up the relay both small terminals are powered and the start switch still works as it should.off the bike blue to ground and tap red to power and it clicks.when it clicks i have no continuity between the big terminals meaning its bad.what is giving the power to both wires when the key is turned on.i see a diode assembly in the 93 schematic.could that be a problem or why they are hot.a relay needs a positive and negative to work but this one is working wit both wires positive.the relays are $100 and cant afford to fry it.no returns on electical parts.thanks for the help.

The diode pack isn't involved. Both small wires on the solonoid will light your test light. The Blue/white if the relay closes, gets grounded by the start button. Ground the blue.white at the bullet connector. Behind the battery. The starter should engage if the battery is good and all wiring correctly connected, starter good,and with key on or off, and in gear, so careful. The explanation on why the blue/white has voltage? This can be seen in the diagram that Sean has on his site. It's at the end of the internal coil/diode circuit that can't be seen. So there is continuity between the small wires.
Steve

Back