Stator Cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsplatf4

Reaction score
The stator cover has leaked oil ever since I replaced the stator. I can't tell exactly where it the leak is coming from. I put some gasket sealant on the gasket at the time. While I have the oil drained and re-building the slave cylinder, what is the best way to seal the stator cover so it will not leak?

Robert, I just clean both gasket surfaces and use the stock gasket....no sealant at all. Lay the cover on the ground and make sure it's not warped and the surface is even. Are you sure it's not coming from one of the rubber grommets?

I agree mark. It's probably draining along the wiring and through the grommet. Easy enough to clean and seal that stuff too.

Simply pull the wiring into the stator cover some and spray it clean and dry with brake and parts cleaner. Then inject sealant in and around the wires and pull it back through while the sealant is still wet. This pull sealant into the grommet too.

Sean

The stator cover has leaked oil ever since I replaced the stator. I can't tell exactly where it the leak is coming from. I put some gasket sealant on the gasket at the time. While I have the oil drained and re-building the slave cylinder, what is the best way to seal the stator cover so it will not leak?

I hope none of that gasket sealant came off on the inside. This will cause the sealant to clog up the oil pump screen or even maybe block and oil passage. You only use sealant on the exhaust gaskets and cases which they use yamabond. NEVER USE SILICONE.
If you want to find the leak, degrease the engine, and sprinkle baby powder near the location you want. Ride the bike a couple of miles and check where the oil is on the baby powder.
How did you clean the old gasket from the cover?

Hint: When installing a new gasket:
Spray one side of the gasket with some permatex HIgh Tac. If you put a light coat of vaseline or grease on the gasket side that meets the case it wont cause the gasket to stick so the next time you remove the cover the gasket wont break.

Thanks for the replys. I didn't use silicon sealant, and what I did use I used sparingly. I did have a feeling it might be coming from the rubber grommet.

I'm having the same problem - its coming through the grommet (pretty sure). What kind of sealant are you suggesting?

100% pure silicon that you can get at your local hardware store. You can use the regular stuff you see at the auto parts store too but the other stuff is actually cheaper for way more.

Sean

Back