Still missing at 4-6K...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I tried the shims and it actually made the bike run worse once I installed the second shim. Lots of farting through the exhaust can throughout the rev range.

I also tried the bigger main jets (157.5) and it made my bike miss all over the upper rom 6-9K.

So what is next? I could try the 155 main jets as I am currently at 152.5???

What I am experiencing is strange...It only happens from 4-6 when lugging the bike. If I floor it through the gears it won't miss at all...only when lugging and when it hits 6K BAM she fly's like an eagle.

I'm 99% percent happy with the bike and wonder if I should even go after the small issue at this point but I am willing to try a few more things before I give up.

Ideas???:ummm:

What was it like with one shim? How thick was the first shim?

I know this sounds silly but....make sure your cover is on when testing with the Morley kit. If not it'll miss evrywhere!

Dale #2592

Mains are on the small side. Friend up here had stage 7 needles and Hindle. He was using 162.5s if I remember right.

Dale #2592

Are they as thick as the washer underneath the needle spring?

That's the exact same problem I'm having. Low and mid range were good with no shim and 155 main's. Upper (6K+) poped and no power. Went to 160 mains and mid started to pop and upper was still bad. Adding a shim didn't make a difference. You guys still think it's too lean?

That's the exact same problem I'm having. Low and mid range were good with no shim and 155 main's. Upper (6K+) poped and no power. Went to 160 mains and mid started to pop and upper was still bad. Adding a shim didn't make a difference. You guys still think it's too lean?

Sounds like you are lean. With my Mark's 4-2 with stock needles I had shimmed the needles 1.25 clips AND ran Mikuni 165's. Otherwise, it would cutout at 6000 before recovering at 7-7500 rpms. Currently, I'm running stage 7 needles on 2nd leanest clip with Mikuni 155's.

FYI, 1 clip is .024 inches or 3/125. Using a standard washer is just too much of an adjustment. Little changes make all the difference.

Sounds like you are lean. With my Mark's 4-2 with stock needles I had shimmed the needles 1.25 clips AND ran Mikuni 165's. Otherwise, it would cutout at 6000 before recovering at 7-7500 rpms. Currently, I'm running stage 7 needles on 2nd leanest clip with Mikuni 155's.

How did you shim 1.25 clips with the stock needles? Did you just take the spring out?

Mark-You were right, I was too lean. Put 162.5 mains in and two of Morley's shims under the needles and it runs almost perfect. I didn't even sync the carbs yet. I'm at a slightly higher altitude than you so I guess thats why I didn't have to go to a 165. I'm going to leave it where it is for now and do some plug chops before changing anything. Thanks

Guys, I'm telling ya if you're breaking up at 6000....then recovering at round 7500 rpm = bigger main. if you're using stock needles you should be bigger than the 160s.
If the stage 7 needles different ball game < 160s. (unless your at high altitude.)
Be patient......you'll get it. Minor change at a time.:eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

Back