Stock Shock Settings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
Hey guys, this may be the dumbest thing youve ever heard but i do NOT understand the adjustments on the back shocks. What do they do exactly? I keep mine set on 4 i weigh 270 pounds. Thanks in advance because i know ill get damn good answers!

clintard said:
Hey guys, this may be the dumbest thing youve ever heard but i do NOT understand the adjustments on the back shocks. What do they do exactly? I keep mine set on 4 i weigh 270 pounds. Thanks in advance because i know ill get damn good answers!

Clint,

It has been quite a while since I ran stockers. I will attempt to give you some useful information.

There are 2 settings on the stock shocks. Both of them are ultimately designed to get the shock back to its neutral position and ready to react to a bump.

#1 The collar on the top is for rebound damping. This is what slows down the POGO Stick boucing after hitting a bump. The higher you set it the more the effect is reduced.

#2 The bottom if the shock is moved to adjust compression damping. There are several settings that pre-compress the shock spring. It varies from none to stiff in 4 or 5 levels. To put this adjustment into simple terms it is to adjust the stiffness of your ride. Set at NONE and the shocks will nearly bottom out to absorb a bump to give you a soft ride at the expense of slower less manageable suspension. Set at stiff and the shocks have a harder ride and you will feel more of the rough ride in your back side. However your shock returns to the "ready" position sooner resulting in a quicker more manageable suspension.

***REMINDER***
This is free advice and you DO NOT have to try it.

Due to the very limited adjustablility of the stock shocks, I would recommend that you set your suspension as stiff as it will go in both rebound and compression to start with. Go and ride over various surfaces of road to get the feel and then adjust as you feel necessary from there.

I have also found that if the back shocks are set too stiff, the back tires bounces off the road at times over bumps! The stockers are a really poor shock, save your pennies for a better after market one.

Anyone have any specific suggestions for replacing the rear shocks? Brand name? Other bike shocks?

X Rider said:
Anyone have any specific suggestions for replacing the rear shocks? Brand name? Other bike shocks?

Works shocks or if you have a rich Uncle, Ohlins. Also the shocks from a GSX1400 also work (and are pretty good), however the bike has only been released in Europe and not in NA.

Buster Hymen said:
Works shocks or if you have a rich Uncle, Ohlins. Also the shocks from a GSX1400 also work (and are pretty good), however the bike has only been released in Europe and not in NA.

+1 on the Works shocks. If you like a little corner carving, Racetech springs and emulators in the front really make a difference as well. Yamaha should be ashamed of themselves for putting such crap suspension on a modern motorcycle.

vmx12s said:
+1 on the Works shocks. If you like a little corner carving, Racetech springs and emulators in the front really make a difference as well. Yamaha should be ashamed of themselves for putting such crap suspension on a modern motorcycle.
I think Yamaha owns a good share of Ohlins so that makes it even worse!!

I've had works for ~ two years they definitely track much better than stock especially the way the stock shocks side steps in the middle of a corner with a bump or any irregularities, works don't do that! also much more stable at high speeds but I think the damping is a little stiff, my back gets a beating at the end of the day but maybe its because I encounter a lot of potholes and bumps on surface streets:(, I think I'll call works and maybe they can make them a little softer in the compression damping .
Overall I like them much better than stock and have no regrets.
________
iolite review

Last edited:
Back