Strange malfunction...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildweasel_pt

Reaction score
Hi guys

This weekend i went to a bike rally and when i was getting back a strange event happened that is burning my brain cells... I was riding normally and suddenly the bike started to hiccup a bit and as i was stopping at the shoulder i pulled the clutch and it died... Strange... I started by thinking that it could be some fuel starvation due to not listening to any farts from the exhaust (could be electrical - no ignition). I then turned it on again and heard the fuel pump to clack clack. I didn't think that was normal because it usually does that only when the bike is sitting for a while but i didn't pay much attention.
It started normally and then i headed on. After a couple miles it started hiccuping again and the same happened. Died while rolling... recycled the key and it went again for fuel pump and cranked normally. I thought what the hell is going on? I changed the fuel switch to reserve (i thought it could be a faulty red fuel light and i was on reserve without knowing it) I pressed on because there was a gas station 10 miles ahead and i wanted to get there and sort this out outside the highway. Suddenly after a couple miles i was cruising at 5000 rpms and it reversed back to 3000ish and no matter i twisted the throttle it wouldn't go above that. I pressed the clutch thinking it would die (i was rolling) but it didn't. It came to roughly 1000 rpms with some fluctuations (throttle in idle). It ended up dying again after a couple seconds. Tried to crank it again but this time it would latch the starter relay but the starter looked like it had no strength to turn the crank and it didn't start of course. I disconnected the headlight not to spend more energy and started thinking. Could it be the RR? The battery? the head light was bright as ever while running.
A guy from the highway assistance patrol vans pulled over and asked me if i needed any assistance. i asked for a flashlight and started to looked for broken wires and stuff. The master relay latched with all instrument lights and headlight on but no juice to start the engine. It was trying to start but it looked like the starter was tired and couldn't crank it enough to start (like when we have a discharged battery). So now im confused. First of all i thought it was the fuel pump not developing enough pressure because every time i started after pulling over it would make noise (not normal). Thought it could be air in fuel lines or strangled fuel hose but that would cause problems as soon as the engine would be started and not only after a couple miles down the road. The guy from assistance gave me a boost from one of those portable battery boosters and i was able to start the bike. I pressed on and this time i was able to go for about 5 miles and then it died again, same thing.
I pulled over once and for all and i couldn't start again. I called the insurance for a pickup and then after a couple minutes i tried and the bike started again... What the hell??? Can the battery be running in and out? The battery works as a buffer between the RR and the circuitry and if it was a bad battery causing the fuel pump to stop working while rollling why is that the headlight was so bright, shouldn't it start dimming? Im lost on this one... Even the reserve wasn't working so i can assume theres no problem with the main fuel pump... Does anyone had a similar problem and can lay me a hand? Im a bit confused with this. Thank you

Fred

My guess would be yar running out of juice with the problem related to bad stator, battery or RR - I was having the same issues and the problem was hiding in bad RR and stator - rewinded the stator myself, bought kawi zx10r RR and mounted it and the v-boost control module place.
Later I have found the spark plugs to be bad and it was the end of my problems.
Batteries somethimes looks like full of juice but they have no cranking power and when mr v-max is out of juice you might have electrical problems.

My guess woulkd be to inspect the stator and RR and maybe replace the battery.
Since yar form EU you might grab this one for UPS suply:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-CSB...93075?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item19c4aa8993

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-20Ah-GEL-...35943?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item4cf49e65c7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURIKEN-SK-B...877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255903a46d

All of them are the same and will fit the stock v-max place.

First thing I would do is put a meter on the battery and make sure it's at least 12.6 Volts. If not, bring it in to a Walmart or wherever and get it load tested. Once you know the battery is good start testing your charging system. Check voltage at idle and 2500 rpms. If charging is good, test ignition components, fuel pump, pump relay, etc.

My guess would be yar running out of juice with the problem related to bad stator, battery or RR - I was having the same issues and the problem was hiding in bad RR and stator - rewinded the stator myself, bought kawi zx10r RR and mounted it and the v-boost control module place.
Later I have found the spark plugs to be bad and it was the end of my problems.
Batteries somethimes looks like full of juice but they have no cranking power and when mr v-max is out of juice you might have electrical problems.

My guess woulkd be to inspect the stator and RR and maybe replace the battery.
Since yar form EU you might grab this one for UPS suply:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-CSB...93075?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item19c4aa8993

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-20Ah-GEL-...35943?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item4cf49e65c7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURIKEN-SK-B...877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255903a46d

All pof the are the same and will fit the stock v-max place.

Hi Prez

I also thought of spark plugs but shouldn't that be noticeable even when starting? They cannot be isolated. I did a 5 min run at 260 KPH 30 mins before that. About the RR and stator shouldn't they be faulty from start? thats why i tend to lean towards the battery. The thing that makes me curious is that the bike now starts good and the headlight is bright... My battery is with good voltage (as per chargemeter) but it may be lacking strength. It happened the same to my car battery last weekend. My question still lies on the fuel pump clacking every time i turn the key on. Too many non concordant symptoms... I'll check every item and see if the bike running in idle and neutral tends to die as well. This is one of those intermittent things that may be related to wiring. I need to check wiring near aft headers as well... May be grounding due to burned insulation... My wiring routing is different from stock. Im thinking also of a bad battery cell that may be in and out... Thank you for the links

I'll also check that Mark. Thanks

It could be the relay but doubt it since you hear the pump clicking when trying to restart. Could be a bad gas cap, fuel vent line, tip over valve, etc.

Hi Prez

I also thought of spark plugs but shouldn't that be noticeable even when starting? They cannot be isolated. I did a 5 min run at 260 KPH 30 mins before that. About the RR and stator shouldn't they be faulty from start? thats why i tend to lean towards the battery. The thing that makes me curious is that the bike now starts good and the headlight is bright... My battery is with good voltage (as per chargemeter) but it may be lacking strength. It happened the same to my car battery last weekend. My question still lies on the fuel pump clacking every time i turn the key on. Too many non concordant symptoms... I'll check every item and see if the bike running in idle and neutral tends to die as well. This is one of those intermittent things that may be related to wiring. I need to check wiring near aft headers as well... May be grounding due to burned insulation... My wiring routing is different from stock. Im thinking also of a bad battery cell that may be in and out... Thank you for the links

I'll also check that Mark. Thanks

Fuel pump supouse to be clicking - this is how the fuel pump circut is bulid.
I also hear one click somethimes.

zx10r is almost the same as R1 late model - the R1 early models were completly diffrent.

Like I've said, both RR and stator can be checked very easly.
If they are ok I would start checking fuel system.

EDIT:
bad spark plugs can be the cause of intermittent shut off too.

It could be the relay but doubt it since you hear the pump clicking when trying to restart. Could be a bad gas cap, fuel vent line, tip over valve, etc.

Nothing to do with vent line. After i stopped i slowly opened the tank lid while listening and no noise of air getting in... Im tending to think that the fuel is being cut while running, maybe some bad wire shorting and turning the fuel pump off or something. I thought about that after realizing that every time i was to start it it would turn on the pump, that means that the fuel lines were empty, that usually just happens when the bike sits still for some time...

Fuel pump supouse to be clicking - this is how the fuel pump circut is bulid.
I also hear one click somethimes.

zx10r is almost the same as R1 late model - the R1 early models were completly diffrent.

Like I've said, both RR and stator can be checked very easly.
If they are ok I would start checking fuel system.

EDIT:
bad spark plugs can be the cause of intermittent shut off too.

Yes i agree i will start by checking stator and RR output... Then i'll check wiring. Several things are happening at the same time - i could start the bike, then i couldn't, then i could... Something may be grounding my battery on an intermittent basis, maybe rubbing non insulated random wires. I'll check plugs as well... thanks

I rode the bike this weekend and no issues. This must be some witchcraft... Probably some temporary overtemp? Any guess?

Sounds like it might be a couple of things!
The electrical side sounds a little bit unusual, but should be easy to check.
I would then suggest changing the fuel filter, as the symptoms you have described sound like the filter is blocked. If the flow is too low, it will eventually just run out of fuel, and that is why the fuel pump is so loud when you turn the key on. It's trying to pump fuel, but not getting enough through the filter.

Not the filter mate... Is brand new and its a clear view see through. Not clogged... It may be a bent hose... But it didn't happen again... Thanks

Back