swapped front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6-14 psi, Woody, you run no air pressure? What's your ready-to-ride weight? That may be indicated if you use aftermarket springs. Race-Tech springs set for your riding weight and type of use, I believe don't require air pressure. Stock springs, unless you're a featherweight, and ride gently, and who does that on a VMax?, my experience is that my riding benefits from airing-up the forks.

"Air will blow your fork seals?" Maybe if your compressor is set at 145 psi on the pressure regulator, and you leave the air hose on for more-than a momentary spritz. But, whatever works for the rider/owner, set it up how you want. You can buy a syringe/pump to fill the forks if you want, for a slower fill.
0 psi is the recommend minimum.per the pic above.
My riding style.aggressive, confident in my abilities and equipment.
If you bottom out without 14psi. You have other issues. Try heavier oil.
And if you do use air.
Use a low psi hand pump.

yeah hooked on phonics 100%...hooked on numreuls 25%..

Tune in tomorrow to the v-star swingarm saga where you will hear our hero say "bolt bushings? what do you mean bolt bushings?"

Yes, I see that it says minimum air pressure is 0 psi, and I assume that's for a 100 lb dressed tiny-person, and not my 220 lbs bulk. Recommended air pressure is the 6-14 psi, which is more in-keeping with the heavier avoirdupois of the gaijin Western customers of the Tuning Forks Company. The Japanese have had issues with this in the past, bikes set-up for smaller-framed and less-weight Japanese customers, being under-sprung and under-damped for Westerners. The first company importing Japanese motorcycles, which took into-account on their specs, the heavier Westerners, was Pabatco Trading Company, who imported the Hodakas to the USA. Their damping and springing was sufficient for an adult USA customer to use 'em, as-is. Older riders who enjoyed off-road riding may be familiar with their Ace 90 and later, the Ace 100, and then the whimsically-named bikes: Super-Rat, Dirt Squirt, Combat Wombat, and the Road Toad. They were inexpensive, reliable, easy to hop-up, and very-popular in the mid-1960's to mid-1970's.
The History of Hodaka Motorcycles (motorcycleclassics.com)

Hodaka.01.jpg

I've been using Bel-Ray fork oil for probably close-to 50 years. I trust the product, I like the results I get. I usually use 10 wt. I've also used ATF as an experiment, which I thought worked OK.

The pressure I usually use in a VMax is 10-11 psi with stock springs and damping, and 10-wt fork oil, which for me provides good damping and prevents excessive dive on hard braking. Thanks for the suggestions, I may try something different next-time I'm in the forks, just to-see how it works. I have a Blackburn bicycle pump I've tried, but just a momentary use of the compressor air chuck, and making use of my air pressure regulator allows a quick, safe addition of air pressure to the forks.

Last edited:
I had a hodaka "Road toad" I saved up $241 in change and tried to runaway with connie basham. dad caught me halfway down the 681 connector in nokomis fl. and took my road toad away. and along with it connie...prick.

Yes, I see that it says minimum air pressure is 0 psi, and I assume that's for a 100 lb dressed tiny-person, and not my 220 lbs bulk. Recommended air pressure is the 6-14 psi, which is more in-keeping with the heavier avoirdupois of the gaijin Western customers of the Tuning Forks Company. The Japanese have had issues with this in the past, bikes set-up for smaller-framed and less-weight Japanese customers, being under-sprung and under-damped for Westerners. The first company importing Japanese motorcycles, which took into-account on their specs, the heavier Westerners, was Pabatco Trading Company, who imported the Hodakas to the USA. Their damping and springing was sufficient for an adult USA customer to use 'em, as-is. Older riders who enjoyed off-road riding may be familiar with their Ace 90 and later, the Ace 100, and then the whimsically-named bikes: Super-Rat, Dirt Squirt, Combat Wombat, and the Road Toad. They were inexpensive, reliable, easy to hop-up, and very-popular in the mid-1960's to mid-1970's.
The History of Hodaka Motorcycles (motorcycleclassics.com)

View attachment 74271

I've been using Bel-Ray fork oil for probably close-to 50 years. I trust the product, I like the results I get. I usually use 10 wt. I've also used ATF as an experiment, which I thought worked OK.

The pressure I usually use in a VMax is 10-11 psi with stock springs and damping, and 10-wt fork oil, which for me provides good damping and prevents excessive dive on hard braking. Thanks for the suggestions, I may try something different next-time I'm in the forks, just to-see how it works. I have a Blackburn bicycle pump I've tried, but just a momentary use of the compressor air chuck, and making use of my air pressure regulator allows a quick, safe addition of air pressure to the forks.
i had one to with the big chrome gas tank you could comb your hair by (well back when we had hair ) traded a ski i found in the river while fishing for it rode it home traded it a week later for a gocart and traded it for a harley x90 and roadit till i fianally put it to death so that is my mc starting his as if anyone cared lol

Back