Taught myself a valuable tip today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
You know that stupid white washer on the needle with a tit on it that sits in the piston recess. The tit is supposed to align in it's own hole adjacent the needle hole.
I'm sure everyone has their own mythology on doing this but from memory I don't think my own manual even addresses the importance of making sure the tit is aligned properly or the needle position will be all messed up.
I normally only partially screw in the plastic retaining screw and then push back on the needle and rotate , hopefully spinning the washer until the tit lines up with the hole and it pops down.
Anyway I figured one wasn't seating properly after several attempts and to confirm that it is correct I did the following.

By offering the piston with needle inserted to another that you are 100% is correct , face to face, if it is correct then BOTH NEEDLE POINTS WILL TOUCH THE OPPOSITE FACE of each piston in a parallel situation.
The following pictures probably explain it better, the first picture is really trying to show what I'm on about and the second is how I'd actually do it in a vertical manner.
In my own situation today I thought I had one seated but wasn't entirely sure so by checking as described I soon learnt it wasn't seated at all all there was
a gap between one needle and piston. A couple of further attempts to spin the washer soon confirmed all was well because the test proved it.

Attachments

• 001 (Large).jpg
    001 (Large).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 003 (Large).jpg
    003 (Large).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 48
I use a round 90 degree feeler gauge inserted into the hole from the bottom. If it goes in and stops the alignment is good,
If it goes in the 1/4" length of the 90 degree bend of the feeler the tit is not in the proper place...

12298657208kAn5m.jpg

One issue I've had is the stock needles fit the plastic white washer a lot better than the stage seven needles. Meaning once the stock needle was dropped into place in the slides I could turn them and the plastic washer would more positively turn vs with the stage seven needles.

This is exactly how I make sure my washers are in properly and it works well.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

I learned the hard way bout those needles things, if the washer is missing off the blunt needle side, your bike runs like a piece of crap.

Back