technometer not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your horn work? If not, probably signal fuse.

Otherwise, remove two nuts holding instrument cluster on and slide it off posts. Clean the brown and gray wires going into tach.

If that doesn't help, make sure voltage is on brown wire coming out of fuel pump relay. This is where the gray wire to tach gets the coil signal from. It also sends a signal to your vboost controller.

Having just imported my bike , the rev counter doesnt go , i am yet to investigate . Is it likely to be a fuse or loose wire problem , help please ?:confused2:

If your "rev counter":ummm: is meaning Tachometer / revalutions per minute gauge.
I have plenty of OEM style insturment gauges, along with an aftermarket tach "rev counter.

Does your horn work? If not, probably signal fuse.

Otherwise, remove two nuts holding instrument cluster on and slide it off posts. Clean the brown and gray wires going into tach.

If that doesn't help, make sure voltage is on brown wire coming out of fuel pump relay. This is where the gray wire to tach gets the coil signal from. It also sends a signal to your vboost controller.

Where do i find the fuel pump relay then ?:ummm:

Hi I have a 97 vmax 1200 I want use another rev counter tacho.
I can see signal have some kind of connection to fuel relay.
Normaly when you turn key pump run for 5 sec and stop , when I plug signal gray to my tacho ,pump dont stop after 5 sec. ??? I wonder if bike only works with original tacho?? HELP

An electronic tachometer works by "counting" pulses. In effect it is a voltmeter averaging the train of pulses, the more pulses, the higher the voltage, the further the needle moves.

Basically the vmax ignition module supplies the pulse train as the vboost module uses it so any after market tachometer should work albeit you need to be sure the input is compatible.

Are you sure it is the fuel pump that has stopped working? . If yours is full power, then you hear the vboost servo motor come on every time the ignition is turned on. You should only hear the fuel pump click if it needs to top up the carbs, it should be silent for consecutive ignition on, off cycles once carbs have been topped up.

Hi thanks for answer
I have just pluged it in with front left coil ,that should work.
Its a custom build so I might unintentionally have made a change to wiring.
you can see there is not so much vmax left ,just modified frame and engine.
Pulled of a lot of weight , so now its aprox 197kg dry.
Just need a few things to be done before first start up :)

Attachments

• PICT0002 (7).JPG
    PICT0002 (7).JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 40
I made a rd350ypvs in lc frame and a kawa triple 500 with 750 engine some years ago.
The vmax is project is going to be my last for some time, Its very difficult and expensive to get custom bikes legal here in DK :(, so most home builders dont bother trying. I will post some good photos and some info when I get it finished regulations SUCKS:mad:

Attachments

• PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 29
  • 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 29
Amazing stuff. Even though you are making them better and safer, you have difficulties getting them registered. What a shame.

An interesting 'throwback' design of your VMax, with the blunt fairing, in the style of a Rickman, or a Seeley, and the gas tank looks like a lengthened KZ1000, I assume it's mostly a cover for the air filters and electrical components? Is the front part the gas tank, because of losing the OEM gas tank to the monoshock install? The gas tank and the fairing look like something Toecutter would have ridden, in the first Mad Max.

Let's see the rear end, where the shock mount is, to go monoshock, and the swingarm to chassis, and the shock mount, does it use a bellcrank for the shock bottom?

The Yamaha 'smoker' and the 750 triple look well-done, old guys like me always enjoy seeing stuff like that. That-is unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool H-D enthusiast who thinks anything after a Shovelhead should be looked-upon with suspicion.

More on the Kawasaki 500 chassis, please, pics of the monoshock top & bottom. The wide rims in spokes are appealing. Looks like the application you used for the 6-pot front brakes and the rotors, only sweeps half of the rotor. Is it a Spiegler caliper system?

I can't make-out the 750's carbs, flatslides?

Mad-Max-played by Vigilante Club members.jpg

Mad Max Bubba Zanetti bikes.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Got it out ,so here is some bette photos.
Yes its a little madmax I have had several Kz1000 and love the toecutter :Dso its a big inspiration for this bike.
The tank is a carbon tank cast from the kz1000 aluminium tank , but cut out pockets in bottom to make room for kn filters.
Fork is Ducati multistrada ,with custom yokes svingarm duc 999 fairing harrier hyde cut down, tail is a modified kz1000 tail and exhaust is home made stainless.
Cockpit kz 1000 with Stewart warner clocks.
I Need to take it to my dyno man to set up carbs ,it runs but needs jetting.

I will put up more photos when i get a little further in project:)

Attachments

• PICT0004 (6).JPG
    PICT0004 (6).JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0002 (3).JPG
    PICT0002 (3).JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0003 (2).JPG
    PICT0003 (2).JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 18
this is how frame looks under the tank , its the only way to make it fit a tank.
it is close to how a royal star frame looks.

Attachments

• Mark 3 004.JPG
    Mark 3 004.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 15
Back