Temperature Gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
Hello I am having issues with my temp gauge. It has stopped working altogether. I have checked connections at the back of the gauge cluster and the sending unit connector both are clean and free of corrosion. I have tried grounding the sensor wire to the frame but the needle still does not budge.

The strange part is the temp gauge will work after a wash or during a very rainy day....but as soon as it starts to dry out the gauge needle bounces around a bit and drops back to dead

any suggestions?

this is a dead stock 1996

Very weird indeed. You did exactly what I would have done by grounding the sender wire. Have you checked the connections at the back of the gauge itself?

Hello I am having issues with my temp gauge. It has stopped working altogether. I have checked connections at the back of the gauge cluster and the sending unit connector both are clean and free of corrosion. I have tried grounding the sensor wire to the frame but the needle still does not budge.

The strange part is the temp gauge will work after a wash or during a very rainy day....but as soon as it starts to dry out the gauge needle bounces around a bit and drops back to dead

any suggestions?
Ground the sender terminal right on the gauge, with the key on of course, to eliminate the wire as a problem. If no action on the gauge, check connections. If good, I'd try another gauge.

1. Grounding the Green/Red will short the sensor and should move the needle to Max
2. Grounding the Black wire should do nothing (it is ground) but you may have a bad connection somewhere in your loom
3. If those don't work, check the voltage on the Brown wire (it should be 12v)

The wire inside the Brown (12v) line corroded on me once and I had erratic needle movement, I snipped back the cable a few mm and re-soildered the connection

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies

really appreciate the suggestions

I will try these tonight and report back

My temp gauge doesn't work sometimes. A well placed whack on the cluster gets it going again... I'll get in there to fix the bad ground or loose wire when the well placed whack doesn't work any more....... Kinda gives the bike a bit more character.

upon very close inspection the brown wire at the back of the gauge was broken....it was very difficult to see

removed terminal connector re soldered and she is working again

thanks Gents

appreciate the guidance

Latest posts

Back