The freakin saga continues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think your best bet is to inspect / clean every electrical connector and switch you can get to.

Get some electronics cleaning spray (isopropyl alcohol) and some dielectric grease, and I bet this will fix your problems.

All taken care of I am deeper into this thing than I wanted to be in warm weather. No change still nothing. Following the troubleshooting guide for the fuel pump it has to be the relay I can't find anything anywhere. Got in touch with Sean to send me a new one to try I will update once I find something out.
Thanks
Duke

Have you checked the fuel sending unit in the tank for ohm? It controls the power to the pump through the res/on switch. By having the gas switch in the res possition all the time youre bypassing the sending unit with power to the pump. It also turns on the red light when low on fuel. If you drain out fuel to below the unit (seen through the fill hole) the light should come on. If it doesn't then its dead and may have something to do with your problem, as in youre getting juice through a ground.

Fuel light hasn't worked since I got the bike never bothered with checking out why. I know alot of times especially on older stuff idiot lights are more of a pain than anything else.
Duke

That may be, but its still an intricate and important part of your bike. The reserve system is a temporary bypass "power on" for the pump till you gas up. Its meant to be used on the "on" position for the duration. It may be shorting out in that circuit and causing your other problems.

The sending unit (green and black wire) is at .89 ohms book calls for .9 +- .2
As for the lights I pulled the dash and the reason the light didn't work is because there was no bulb so I used the high beam indicator bulb also no bulb in oil light. What I found is the light is on anytime the neutral light is on.

In other words you turn on the key and the light is on start the bike and the light is on put the bike in gear the light goes off put it back in neutral light comes back on. I can't run the bike for long and when I put it in gear it stalls but the light should go out once started even in the res position right?
Thanks Also can't find the bulbs at Autozone or Advance any ideas where to pick some up
Duke

Last edited:
I'd disconnect the switch at the clutch lever, the one on the neutral switch and investigate the fuel sending unit. Figure out why one isn't working, fix it and move on to the next. There's only a few on the bike but one is causing havoc with your gauge pod, tach and your ignition system for reasons I can't imagine but it seems you have a bag of worms and the only way to get it sorted is one at a time. Some where in there you'll find the culprit. Maybe look for wire tampering that's not factory and investigate.

Someone probably put the bulb plug in the wrong hole on the pod, with a new set of bulbs in all sockets function check everything. Fuel and oil should come on momentarily on start, green neutral on when in neutral. If the fuel light comes on than the sending unit is working, Probably won't since you stated it never did. A new sending unit is in order and easy to replace, cleaning the switch is also simple as someone else stated on here, it may not be making good contact.

The bike stalls when put into gear tells me you have a safety switch out of adjustment or bad, you can jump them to trick the engine to run. one at the clutch maybe? Or the one on the side stand.

The switch (res/on) does not control the fuel light, it only returns power to the pump giving you the last half gallon of fuel. If the amount of fuel is above the top of the sending unit in the tank, it will go out, if no, it will come on. look into the tank to see.

The bike was like this when I bought it and was running fine until I let it sit about a week and a half. Although I am going to pull the gauge pod and check the color code on the wires to see if everything is where it's supposed to be I don't really suspect there is any great big thing going on here I have been all through the wiring, other than what is taped from the factory, and it looks unmolested for the most part.

The bike stalls only because it's not got the rpms. to keep it running.

I am working with 3/4 tank of gas so the light should be off and the res/on switch should be on but I have the light on and res on.

I appreciate you following this and helping out.
Duke

Well I have found a problem in the harness that goes to the right handlebar. There is a red/yellow wire that goes to the start button. There is also a black wire (ground) the black wire was cut and spliced to the red yellow wire I cut the black wire loose and spliced it back into the black wire on the other side of the plug. Now when I turn the key on everything works but when I hit the start button the headlight goes out and I get nothing. Also on a side note I screwed up the throttle cable trying to get it off the throttle so now I need a new one of those as well.
Guess I know what my winter project is going to be.
Duke

It's scary how well I can relate to your effort and frustration... It sends chills down my spine thinking of how I feel at these kind of times.:bang head:

Only the Best of Luck to You...

I'm going to take further questions to the electrical forum since that is what this has turned into.
Thanks for the replies
Duke

Latest posts

Back