thermostat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rf900flyer

Reaction score
Is there an AC delco, ford,,,etc thermostat that will replace the vmx's w/o the yamaha price?

I read somewhere on here that a certain Nissan thermostat will fit, perhaps someone will remember what post or you could do a search with Nissan and thermostat as your parameters. Hope this helps.

Twisted

I can't remember off the top of the head right now but there is a tsat that does interchange. However, these rarely go bad and i've got a number of good used ones for much cheaper then Yamaha (if yours is even bad).

The switch is denominated "Borg-Warner TFS-545" (Thermal Fan Switch=TFS)
it is used on the Nissan Sentras, since I've installed the switch, temp.
won't reach the half way mark. (I said this before, didn't I ?)
From here:
http://www.the-clearing.org/Bike/Vmax/Tech/cooling
And more info here:
http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/[email protected]/msg08623.html
You can spend half the price and purchase the same switch for a 1988 Nissan Sentra.
Here are the part numbers for the cooler switch:
BORG-WARNER TFS-545, WELLS-SW537 or NAPA FS-147 switch.
BW TFS-545 comes on at 205-208 and goes off at 195

Keep in mind there is a Thermostat he's asking about as well as the sending unit to turn on the fan which is not what he asked about.

Look at this one. I think he has figured out which one fits. When I worked at oreilys I remember several small ones on the shelve that looked like they may fit a vmax. I wish I would have looked into it at the time. Most of their thermostats are way cheaper than what he wants. Looks like the nisson and Toyota are the ones to look at for the auto thermostat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271246877650?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Look at this one. I think he has figured out which one fits. When I worked at oreilys I remember several small ones on the shelve that looked like they may fit a vmax. I wish I would have looked into it at the time. Most of their thermostats are way cheaper than what he wants. Looks like the nisson and Toyota are the ones to look at for the auto thermostat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271246877650?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for the info. :clapping:I've been looking for a long time. I'm in Hawaii where in the summers it gets in the high 80's sometimes 90. I always put low temp stats in my cars, finally one for the bike.

This has been discussed for years. The Max does not have an overheating problem assuming there is nothing wrong with the bike. The fan doesn't come unless you are sitting in traffic on a hot day. It is over 100 degrees most of the summer here and my fan doesn't come on unless I am sitting for some time in traffic. I did install the override switch just for that situation but have rarely used it. The bike was designed to operate at a certain temperature and the fan comes on if it exceeds that temp. The fan cycling keeps the temp at the designed level.

That said, many do use a lower temp thermostat or add the override switch for peace of mind but it is really not needed if your bike is properly maintained and the cooling system is operating properly.

In the good old days cars use to run 160 thermostats and now they run in the 200's. One of the main reason is pollution. Cold engine has more horse power but pollutes more. hot one burns more of the fuel. I agree on a stock engine the cooling system should be ok if in proper working condition. Its the ones that are modded that need more cooling. More horsepower generally wants more fuel making the engine run warmer. A lot depends on driving conditions. A guy should change the thermostat every couple of years. They do get weak and can crap out. I change them in all my vehicles every two years. Just peace of mind and keeping the engine running at the correct temp. Changing and flushing the cooling system is prob one of the most neglected maint items. That makes a huge difference in cooling.
Just my opinion :)

In the good old days cars use to run 160 thermostats and now they run in the 200's. One of the main reason is pollution. Cold engine has more horse power but pollutes more. hot one burns more of the fuel. I agree on a stock engine the cooling system should be ok if in proper working condition. Its the ones that are modded that need more cooling. More horsepower generally wants more fuel making the engine run warmer. A lot depends on driving conditions. A guy should change the thermostat every couple of years. They do get weak and can crap out. I change them in all my vehicles every two years. Just peace of mind and keeping the engine running at the correct temp. Changing and flushing the cooling system is prob one of the most neglected maint items. That makes a huge difference in cooling.

Perfectly said bumper :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

This has been discussed for years. The Max does not have an overheating problem assuming there is nothing wrong with the bike. The fan doesn't come unless you are sitting in traffic on a hot day. It is over 100 degrees most of the summer here and my fan doesn't come on unless I am sitting for some time in traffic. I did install the override switch just for that situation but have rarely used it. The bike was designed to operate at a certain temperature and the fan comes on if it exceeds that temp. The fan cycling keeps the temp at the designed level.

That said, many do use a lower temp thermostat or add the override switch for peace of mind but it is really not needed if your bike is properly maintained and the cooling system is operating properly.
I agree 100%, Don. The Yamaha engineers designed the motor to operate within a certain range of temperature, based on years of experience. If they had concluded during the production years of '85-'07 that they had erred with their design, a new thermostat would have been spec'ed - probably the least most expensive alteration that could be done for a vehicle! No re-tooling necessary, just a bulliten issued and a new part number specified.
it's the arbitrary "red zone" of the rudimentary temperature gauge that has caused the mass hysteria, and sent so many of us - myself included - running for overide switches and new thermostats. If the bike had originally been equipped with an gauge with numbers to indicate the coolant temp., this forum would probably have hundreds less posts.
I'm thinking conspiracy, drummed up by the switch and thermostat establishment - an evil money-hungry bunch for sure.:rofl_200:
Cheers!

Amen:biglaugh:

This is my temp after about an hour and 15 miles. It's 2:00 in the afternoon and 85 degrees on a sunny day. I bought the 160 degree thermostat from ebay. Can't wait to try it and see how it works. Thanks Bumper for the info.:clapping:

Attachments

• 2013-12-31 v temp.jpg
    2013-12-31 v temp.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 2013-12-31 s.jpg
    2013-12-31 s.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 31
Not hot at all or even warmed up. Keep in mind a cold engine accelerates wear.

Not hot at all or even warmed up. Keep in mind a cold engine accelerates wear.

Sean, How accurate are the temp gauges on the Vmax. My temps always reads like that but I've blown coolant out the overflow before. Not all the time of course but it's happened a couple of times.:ummm::confused2:

Sean, How accurate are the temp gauges on the Vmax. My temps always reads like that but I've blown coolant out the overflow before. Not all the time of course but it's happened a couple of times.:ummm::confused2:

Don't know the answer to your question but the radiator cap relief coil be suspect here as well

Back