Think my fuelpump is cooked...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMX12Rider

Reaction score
An annoying story, after spending $200 buying a battery and 4 hours renewing the registration, I can't ride.

last week the bike ran great, save for the fact the battery didn't hold a charge and the bike needed to be bump/jump started. so it sat for a week, bought a new battery, installed it. It fired right up but wouldn't run with the choke off and died the second you gave it gas (A problem that didn't exist last week). Checked the fuel level, plenty of gas, it's been hot lately (100+ most days) Tapped the carbs with a rubber mallet to see if they were sticking, didn't help. The seat was still off and I noticed the fuel filter was empty. blew through the filter, flowed freely, just for the heck of it syphoned the fuel pick up to make sure it was blocked, no issue there. Dug out the handy shop manual for it and said check the pump. Even though it did rattle when I first started the bike. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the fuel line but the pump didn't run enough/often enough to get a reading. The shop manual said test the pump by putting 12 volts to it. So I touched it to a 12 volt, half dead jump pack and it ran really inconsistantly. I ran it for about 5 seconds or so and went to set up a draw test. Hooked a hose to it, stuck it down in the gas tank. Touched it again it ran for a second and made specifically an electrical popping sound and stopped dead. I fired the bike up and ran the carbs dry, hooked everything up and when I turned the key the 10 amp ignition fuse popped instantly. PS, test light shows good on the lead going from the relay to the pump. So unless anyone has any other experiences or advice... I'm going to have to locate another pump. Ideas? Sorry if the whole thing seems redundant.. I'm just hyper annoyed that I spent all that time and money yesterday and have jack squat to show for it.:bang head:

Looks like you're pretty close to Sean Morley - sure he has a fuel pump for you to try a swap and see if that's the culprit!

He is close to me lol! 2 hours or so out. I should have a good used pump.

Much obliged. New one is $250+ tax, found one at OZ Motorsports Salvage in Ottawa $120, 30 day warranty that I'll go and pick up tomorrow. Hopefully that'll cure what ails it. Hopefully i can hit you up should it not actually fix my issue?

Much obliged. New one is $250+ tax, found one at OZ Motorsports Salvage in Ottawa $120, 30 day warranty that I'll go and pick up tomorrow. Hopefully that'll cure what ails it. Hopefully i can hit you up should it not actually fix my issue?

dont worry Sean will work with you...he is a GREAT GUY TO DEAL with:punk: no worries trust me!!!:punk:

Latest posts

Back