Throttle play

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place for this question...so if it isn't my apologies. Is it normal to have some negative play on the throttle? What I mean is, I can turn my throttle in reverse slightly with a little effort twisting action. When I do this the rpm's can drop by about 200. When i let go it goes back up and the throttle goes back to its normal position. I followed the cable down and noticed that where it connects to the carbs the little lever actually is being forced down when I twist the throttle in reverse. I am wondering if the cables need to be replaced. They seem to operate fine except for this issue. :ummm:

Some reverse play on the cables is normal. It is coused by reverse lever which is equipped
with spring. However reverse plus rpm drop may give you a hint it is a time to properly ajust
the cables. OEM manual is your friend.

Some reverse play on the cables is normal. It is coused by reverse lever which is equipped
with spring. However reverse plus rpm drop may give you a hint it is a time to properly ajust
the cables. OEM manual is your friend.

+1
There should be some "reverse play" (i.e., slack), in the throttle, but this should not lower the rpm. The cables obviously are too tight, or binding somewhere. As above, check the manual for proper adjustment.
Cheers!

edit... to perhaps explain better....if properly adjusted, there should be about 1/4" free play in the throttle before resistance is felt, caused by the cables starting to operate the carb mechanism.

Adding a +1 to all that. Reverse play is normal, but it actually effecting the rpms is not.

Back