Too clear coat headers or not?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I just painted my headers aluminum colored paint. It looks fine, but would be nice if it was smoother. Has anyone painted then added clear coat to give it that finished look? I just painted today so maybe after it cures and I heat it up a few times it will wear smoother with a washing. The VHT clear coat I see for sale says it's a MATE finish.

I'm not sure I would clear it. Is it that bad to start with? I would say as long as you staying with the identical paint line, it should stick and not be any worse but I do not recall any clear sprays that did not yellow some. Do you mind being our guinea pig? Let us kno how it turns out. My vote is high temp powdercoat. Ceramic or Jett Hot is better but it is expensive.

I was just thinking it would help it be easy to clean with clear coat or give it that finished look, but I'm not married to the idea. So it will yellow over time, that's no bueno.

That's what I thought too, that the heat will yellow the Clear eventually.
I Painted my Headers Black with Flat Black Hi-temp Paint because they were Blued and my Supertrapps were black.
I'm actually really happy with them now.

Attachments

• DSCF4689.jpg
    DSCF4689.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 16
I guess worst case if they get dirty or hard to clean I can take them off and do flat black. That would look pretty mean. My rear springs are yellow, so I thought about yellow, but paint is burgundy so probably stand out too much

Back