Tool for Frame Badge?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scleary

Reaction score
I have a 2010 VMAX and want to change the frame badges (silver triangles on the sides just to the rear of the engine). Does anybody know which tool is used to remove the 3 bolts/screws? It appears to be a Torx but I want to be sure. The Torx bits I already have are too small. I have a history of buying tools that don't work and just take up space. The service manual doesn't seem to break it down to the frame badges. Thanks in advance for any input.

I believe they're metric (didn't know there were non-metric ones). I bought a set yesterday and none of them worked. What I need is somewhere between a T30 and T40. I'll go back to Sears today and see if there is a T35. Thanks for the response.

I believe they're metric (didn't know there were non-metric ones). I bought a set yesterday and none of them worked. What I need is somewhere between a T30 and T40. I'll go back to Sears today and see if there is a T35. Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I was thinking of Allen head bolts, Torx doesn't do the metric/Imperial thing.
According to the charts I've seen, there is Torx size between T30 and T40. However I did find this article about Torx

"A number of companies began manufacturing Torx-derivative bits and screws after Camcar's patent expired in 1991. One of these designs is the Torx-Plus, which comes from Camcar's corporate parent Acument Global Technologies. This bit is more gear-shaped than star-shaped, and is capable of holding 23 percent more torque than the original Torx without camming-out or slipping. Torx-Plus bits and screws are not interchangeable with their original Torx counterparts."

The bolt may be a Torx Plus which means you need a different Torx driver. Keep us informed on what works!

Thanks for the reply. When I Googled T35, most of what I found were people on car blogs complaining about how stupid the manufacturers were for requiring one when they are so rare. I didn't know the frame badges were some kind of vehicle identification number and probably never meant to be replaced. I just thought the frame badges were too silvery for my 'carbon fibered' bike. I found two T35 security Torx on ebay (the only 2 for sale in the entire world as far as I can tell) and ordered both as they are cheap and I'm afraid they'll disintegrate. Who knows? Maybe they're not Torx at all. I'll find out next week. Thanks again.

Interesting.... never heard of that size. Let us know if that works!

Just a note to end this thread: I never received the T35's I ordered and suspect the seller had mistakenly identified them and didn't have them to sell. I replaced the frame badges by using a T30. There was a little play but I managed to break the blue loctite and reinstall the bolts without damaging the heads.

Latest posts

Back