Track Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollie

Reaction score
Looking into a sport bike , used & cheap for that major rush from time to time on a track. Found a Kaw ZX7R , '01 , 8k miles, new tires, chrome wheels, " no dents or crashes " per seller , $ 2,000.
Any experiences on this or suggestions ? :ummm:

I think we are going to sell our 2002 ZX9R. about 12,500 miles. 133 rwhp 404 lbs. Should run very well at the track. $2500-$4000 depending on what you want done with it. Currently it's got all the body set off of it while we decide how we are going to finish up the paint. It's lowered a ton and some other misc stuff for it.

The zx7 should be fun and there should be a lot of crashed bigger bikes that you could "fighter" up which would be lighter anyway and faster.

Sean

Honestly if you want a GREAT bullet proof track bike to learn on and have a ton of fun on, I'd look at an SV650. They are GREAT bikes and VERY manageable.

Man, you don't get much more bullet proof then most of the modern 600cc sportbikes. With a good gearing, lowered, and rider you are looking at high 9's with no bar all day every day.

Sean

Ah see, I wasn't thinking about going in circles!

How about an FZR400! With the 600 upgraded engine they are excellent running machines. I had one for awhile and super light with plenty of power. Plus, a ton of aftermarket chassis parts to go plenty fast. plus, you get to keep in yamaha that way.

Sean

Ah see, I wasn't thinking about going in circles!

How about an FZR400! With the 600 upgraded engine they are excellent running machines. I had one for awhile and super light with plenty of power. Plus, a ton of aftermarket chassis parts to go plenty fast. plus, you get to keep in yamaha that way.

Sean
+1 Mdoe, road course type track . Left turns and right turns, lol :rofl_200:

Yamaha is great and I have had a few , but open to anything that can burn the entries and light up the exit , and whoa real good.

that zx7r wouldn't be a bad bike at all, seems like a decent price too.

any newish 600cc bike would be fantastic, and the prices on them are going way down

Also agreed with above sv650 statement...fantastic bike!

The 650 is a blast because of the low end flat torque curve. Talk about after market... THAT bike has a ton.

Chris

that zx7r wouldn't be a bad bike at all, seems like a decent price too.

any newish 600cc bike would be fantastic, and the prices on them are going way down

Also agreed with above sv650 statement...fantastic bike!

A concern for me is the position on a sport bike as my flexibility is not where it used to be. Could get me back into shape though.:rofl_200:

Attachments

• Kaw ZX7R '01.jpg
    Kaw ZX7R '01.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 18
If you were to go with the sv650 (assuming you got the fairing version), you can take the naked sv650 handlebars and swap them out. this will give you a more comfortable riding position and oogles of options for even more comfort or more track style bars later on down the road.

IMGP0655.jpg

That looks nice. Don't know much about it though. What do they go for and what years were they produced ? H.P. / Torque ? Forks / shock ?

That looks nice. Don't know much about it though. What do they go for and what years were they produced ? H.P. / Torque ? Forks / shock ?

HP is about 75 or so... Torgue in the 40's is a guess... Forks are OK but need resprung and emulators installed for real duty. Rear shock could be replaced as well if pushing it hard.

All in all you can buy an '04 from my brother with maybe 3500 miles on it for 3500 bucks. It's royal blue and doesn't have the lower fairing on it. The lowers were and OEM add on if you wanted them. IMO I like them with just the upper fairing but I'm a bit biased... :biglaugh:

Chris

--------My SV1000S---------

Attachments

• SV1000S 10-18-05 #6.jpg
    SV1000S 10-18-05 #6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 8
Yeah unfortunate it was only here one year... :damn angry:

Mines an '03 as well.

Chris

<hijack>

do a lot of sv1000 owners mod it to an N version from factory stuff, like some R1 folks do?

</hijack>

That looks nice as well, but my initial budget was about 2K and mod it later , if needed for the track. I'm researching the Kaw KZ7R & Suz Gixxr 750 for comparisions of hp / torque, forks, shock, brakes as i think both have all I need or could take advantage of. Thoughts , experiences , 2 cents worth all welcome.

The ZX7R I was tracking went for $ 2,025.00 dammit. Couldn't pull the trigger w/o more knowledge of what I was getting into as it wouldn't start due to " bad gas in the tank , spark plugs were fouled, and it had been sitting for 8 months ", and it was 3 1/2 hours away.:bang head: :damn angry:

Attachments

• Kaw ZX7R '01 2.jpg
    Kaw ZX7R '01 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Kaw ZX7R '01 3.jpg
    Kaw ZX7R '01 3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 11
<hijack>

do a lot of sv1000 owners mod it to an N version from factory stuff, like some R1 folks do?

</hijack>

A lot? Nah... Most leave them alone but some mod them to an N. It's MUCH harder to go the other way because the frame is slightly different on the head stock.

Personally I like both for different reasons. I like the fact that I have two different bikes setup for two different things. That little fairing on mine is really nice on the highway.

Chris

+1 on the SV650. A couple of the instructors I ride with use them predominantly and they are solid, very good performers. If you decide to stick with it consider swapping in GSXR suspension components, because the SVs don't have the most adjustable suspension.

Back