Trip meter don't work anymore, can it be fixed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Gunner

Reaction score
My odo and speedo work fine but the damn trip meter rolls all three of the mileage indicators when the 1/10 mile indicator cycles. I can get it all to re-set to 0 if I play with it but it still cycles all three.

I only average 85-90 miles per tank before my fuel light comes on and I hate guess-timating how far I can make it now the trip meter does not work.

I know that if I stay off the throttle and out of the Vboost I can go allot further on a tank of gas ( 130+ miles per tank with the wife on the back) but it's too much of a habit now riding the Boost zone...lol

So my question is; Does anyone here know of a fix for the trip meter?

Thanks in Advance

Aaron

Re: Trip meter doesn't work anymore, can it be fixed?

i couldn't find a post in the forum, but this is the closest i could find that could be of any value: http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/

It says "how to fix odometer" but getting at the "trip meter", i think is addressed as well

GOOD-LUCK

I'm not having any problems with my speedo, but the link information has given me hope of repairing my OEM tach. THANKS, Mr. Ninjaneer!
For a few years now, the tach needle on my bike has not been steady, particularily after shifting. The needle will wander 3-4 thousand rpms before eventually settling down at the correct rpm. Not an earth-shattering malfunction mind you, just a tad annoying.
I've got an extra tach (as well as a temp gauge), and I've tried the tach on the bike - it works fine. The problem is that the font on the spare gauges does not match the font on the bike's original gauges.
Soooooo, I thought I'd just replace the "guts" of the tach, with the guts of the spare, retaining the original faceplate. It comes apart fairly easily, except for one item - the needle, which has to be removed.
I've looked at it closely, and cannot see any retaining pin or latching device. I've tried lifting up on it, but not with much force, for fear of busting something.
The link info suggests just turning the needle to a stop point, then lifting on it, while continuing to turn - in other words, it's on with a light press fit.
I'll give this a try. If successful, I will post under a new topic.
Cheers!

My odo and speedo work fine but the damn trip meter rolls all three of the mileage indicators when the 1/10 mile indicator cycles. I can get it all to re-set to 0 if I play with it but it still cycles all three.

I only average 85-90 miles per tank before my fuel light comes on and I hate guess-timating how far I can make it now the trip meter does not work.

I know that if I stay off the throttle and out of the Vboost I can go allot further on a tank of gas ( 130+ miles per tank with the wife on the back) but it's too much of a habit now riding the Boost zone...lol

So my question is; Does anyone here know of a fix for the trip meter?

Thanks in Advance

Aaron
The hole knob broke off on mine.......I'm fucked!!:bang head:

Gauge needle removal video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oYq_l8wLAo

Seems to be a common practice. I read about it awhile back. Just did a google search and there are a ton of hits on "fork, remove gauge needle"

Thanks, Mike! Guess I'll try the fork method first. I'm assuming that the shaft and needle housing must have flats , to retain the correct orientation with the needle/numbers? I'll check out some of those hits.

The hole knob broke off on mine.......I'm fucked!!:bang head:
while i was looking for the link that i eventually shared with Chief, i stumbled upon some sites, where guys were able to repair busted knobs and such. i don't think you're totally hosed...not just yet

I some how got it fixed by dis-connecting the speedo line to the front wheel and seperating the cover, after making sure everything was tight inside there I put the cover back on after I conditioned the gasket with some silicone..it's been working fine since:ummm: PFM I guess....

Latest posts

Back