Tuning after drilling stock pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonmax

Reaction score
I drilled the stock pipes and like the sound that came out. Unfortunately everything I read about this causing the bike to run rich occured and now it runs poorly and will stall if I idle around town to much. I can smell the rich exhaust when at idle.

I know that I can adjust the A/F mixture but I am having a hard time knowing for sure that I am looking at the correct screws. I read on Vmax Outlaw about removing the brass plugs over the idle adjustment screw but am not sure where to look.

Is the Pilot screw the idle adjustment screw or a/f adjustment screw?

Where is this screw located. I found a screw directly under the middle of the diaphram cover but it is recessed deep. Based on what I read about brass plug removal I did not expect it to be recesssed like that. I did play with it and could run it all the way into 1/2 turn out on all carbs before it caused the bike to stumble. It still smelled very rich.

For now I have recapped the holes in the exhaust and set the screws at 2 turns out.:ummm::ummm:

Pilot a/f screws are item labelled '2'.

shotgun9.jpg

The tick over speed is set by the thumb screw on the left side recessed inside 'H' cover.

Thanx!!! I have the right screw. I understand that in should make it more lean and out should richen. Is this correct?? Should I be able to lean it enough with this to run the stock pipes drilled.

I drilled the stock pipes and like the sound that came out. Unfortunately everything I read about this causing the bike to run rich occured and now it runs poorly and will stall if I idle around town to much. I can smell the rich exhaust when at idle.

I know that I can adjust the A/F mixture but I am having a hard time knowing for sure that I am looking at the correct screws. I read on Vmax Outlaw about removing the brass plugs over the idle adjustment screw but am not sure where to look.

Is the Pilot screw the idle adjustment screw or a/f adjustment screw?

Where is this screw located. I found a screw directly under the middle of the diaphram cover but it is recessed deep. Based on what I read about brass plug removal I did not expect it to be recesssed like that. I did play with it and could run it all the way into 1/2 turn out on all carbs before it caused the bike to stumble. It still smelled very rich.

For now I have recapped the holes in the exhaust and set the screws at 2 turns out.:ummm::ummm:

Did it return to normal when you did this, or is it still running poorly?

I'd do the 'shotgun' before making a lot of changes to your carb internals, it may resolve your issues.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

good ponit danny, how was it running prior to the work?

I believe it was running good before I drilled the pipes but I had only had it a couple months.

I cannot tell if it is better with the caps back on the pipes but it still smells rich. I probably need to clean the plugs and I should get an A/F meter.

The shotgun approach sounds good but it sounds like something to cure a lean or poor fueling problem which is opposite what I have.

I believe it was running good before I drilled the pipes but I had only had it a couple months.

I cannot tell if it is better with the caps back on the pipes but it still smells rich. I probably need to clean the plugs and I should get an A/F meter.

The shotgun approach sounds good but it sounds like something to cure a lean or poor fueling problem which is opposite what I have.

carbonmax--the shotgun is a way to clean certain carb circuits, that's all. It's not a method of tuning.

Nothing to lose, if it doesn't do anything....then look elsewhere.

Back