• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Turbo Rocket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a good friend that had a rocket and put a turbo on it... He had nothing but trouble... Now he was putting down over 260hp... He finally traded it (lost his ass) on a GenII and never looked back. If you are serious about the bike. I could put you in contact with him so you could pick his brain

If I wanted to own a bad ass Rocket, I'd buy a low mileage used one (they are fairly inexpensive - a 2005 like the one in the ad would probably be less than 5K) and then have it done by these guys.

http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm

You'd have something fresh, and more dependable for less money......IMO.

I second the opinions here.

I bought a Turbo Busa and had nothing but problems trying to get it figured out and I had NUMEROUS well known racers who build and work on Turbo Busa's look at it. And all them said the same thing.... next time buy a stock bike and we will build one for you.

I got a bad ass bike, dont get me wrong and it was a monster, BUT..... anytime something went wrong I was struggling to figure out what it was and how it was wired. The bike was actually wired very well, the person who did the build did a good job. But I only had a list of parts and what was done, not how it was done and why.

There is alot to be said for having a bad ass fast bike, and just tossing on a turbo and saying so and so tuned it, well thats not much unless you can call the builder yourself and have him give you the information on the build. A homebuilt job... I would just walk away from it.

Just my two cents, I ve been there and done that ALOT. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost..... while it may save you half the cost up front, are you willing to pay the other half after you start to have problems?

Todd

Here is the same kit: http://www.boostisgood.com/RocketIII/index.htm

As you can see, 'if' they still make this kit for the Rocket, it was $5500.

And as others have mentioned, if you can find a better/cheaper start for well under $10k you are saving and then having it installed..

I can say from experience as I have ridden 2 of these that we built back in 2006 when the Rocket was out for a bit. I worked for a dealer up here in Pa. that is well known for their newer Triumph's (not old school stuff).

I used to roadrace Suzuki and Ducati stuff while I worked there. On Sundays I would lead a customer ride using a similar Black/Chrome R3 Turbo.

Our first one we put the Lucifer Orange and black tribal body kit on- that thing stood out over anything, sounded like a dump truck, and could be scary/hairy at times to ride.

It's a big bike but the geometry works, brakes are off thier Daytona sportbike and 320mm discs, and a 240 rear always hooks up...after a good spin up to about 60mph.

Only thing I ever noticed, was when they got real hot, the clutch disengagement could be very very loud with a clunk when in traffic, and they definitely run hot.

It's a unique bike- and the turbo kit here from Boost Is Good (Turbo Connection) is well known as many were done on these. Easy to install kit, simple(useable) boost, and were very reliable.

We sold our 2 R3 Turbo's back in 2006 and 2007 for $15k.....

- Chris

Back