Turn signals blink fast.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4slinger

Reaction score
I just bought a very nice yellow 94 vmax (my 2nd max). It has aftermarket turn signals (non led) which is okay, but the problem is they blink to fast, anyone know what the problem might be?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If a bulb was out I hope you would have noticed that but as Mr Gamorg02 suggest it sounds like the wattage of the bulbs is less than the OE flasher unit expects to see.

It interprets this as a bulb out and flashes faster as a warning.

You need to see what is fitted and then fit appropriate resistors to bring the load back to OE.

That will calm things down. :eusa_dance:

yes a resistor would work, but sometimes just new indicators are easier. 23w bulbs are a huge pita to find around here so its almost easier ordering replacements when you order your indicators. morley has 10000x different kinds too.

you could change the blinker relay too but you'll lose the auto cancellation in the process unless you mess up a bit with the wiring :p

I just went through this EXACT issue with my wife's Kawasaki Mean Streak.

I put a fender eliminator kit on it. The lights that came with it were small 'bullet' style. Look great, but have low wattage bulbs.
I took resistance readings and found that the stock bulbs were .9 ohms, and the new ones were 1.5 ohms.

That small difference was enough to make the bike think it had lights out, and hence blinked really quick.

*I could not just swap and use the stock bulbs, as the glass was too big to fit into the mini housing of the new bullet lamps. The 'base' of the light bulbs were the same, but the glass was too big to fit.

I found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160582129379?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Problem solved. And solved very cheaply and easily.

Vinnie

Does it matter if they blink fast? Mine do after the ninja LED tail light install, but it doesn't bother me. SHould it?? LOL

Does it matter if they blink fast? Mine do after the ninja LED tail light install, but it doesn't bother me. SHould it?? LOL

i think the only reason is so that you, the rider, know if u have light(s) out.

Same here. I have LEDs on the back, and normal bulbs up front. They blink faster but not stupid fast that you can't tell the blinker is on. Doesn't bother me.

I changed to LED in the rear and they wont work at all, Put the stock ones back on. Why won't yhe LED'S work?

I changed to LED in the rear and they wont work at all, Put the stock ones back on. Why won't yhe LED'S work?
Only thing I can think off is that you got the wires mixed up (very easy to do). When I got my LED lights the colors of the wires didn't make any sense, black wasn't ground and so on. See if you can find what color wire is what on your LEDs and wire it in accordingly. I forget what color wire does what on the Vmax but I'm sure people wil chime in. Or you can use a volt meter to find your running lights, brake light and turning signals.

I'm assuming the LEDs themselves are fine.

Check the LED lights off the bike with a 9v battery to find out which wires do what. On mine, 1 wire was ground. Then there was running light. The brake lights were the running lights but brighter. Hook one of the black wires up to the lights ground (i think there was 3 on the vmax) yellow is running, blue is brake. Right blinker is green, left is brown.

Hey, thanks all for your comments and sharing your knowledge.
I suspect the bulb wattage so I will be checking this out. I guess it shouldnt bother me that they blink fast but it kind of looks cheesy, dosn,t look right.
Thanks.

Back