v65

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tex,
The Eliminator is on my list of bikes to get, along with the 1979 cbx 1000!! I love that bike, ( not the bagger model though )
Can you help me with a solution to my luggage rack? cosmeticaly it looks like sh*t, thats why it's not on the bike. chromeing it is very expensive, I was kicking around the idea of powder coating it silver/grey & then adding a clear coat to it..any ideas????

Shorthair...

Are you talking about the six pack rack? Yes, they are notorious for discoloring and having the clear coat come off, they aren't all that hard to polish though, if you have the right tools! Personally, I like the looks and feel of the KG Slider setup, with the rack installed directly onto it, replacing the six pack rack. I just sold one on eBay, I have the exact same setup being rechromed right now. Here's the last setup I sold on eBay, that's my 85 with 6K original miles, runs like a Swiss watch! :biglaugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260660722648&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

I positively want to restore the six pack rack. Any pointers?

Shorthair........

I positively want to restore the six pack rack. Any pointers?

Shorthair........
Yea, send it off to somebody who knows how to polish aluminum well! I never was any good at it, I pay the experts in these type of situations! Shouldn't be that hard though, I bet if you searched, you'd find a thread on this site about polishing, just not something I have any experience with first hand!

The V65 pic looks to be a pristine bike, congrats on it.....

polishing is really quite easy, just research polishing about anywhere and you'll figure it out, it's pretty cheap to do but and extremely dirty job.........you'll wanna have it cleared or it won't last though, I've got a lot of polished pieces on my Max and it's a continual maintenance headache, wishnI could afford to have it all chromed....

Back