Vboost or not

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ride

Reaction score
Thought I would share my chapter with Vboost. When I bought my 96 it had the stage 7 kit with the vboost removed. Included was the entire kit to re-install if I found the need. Spent the end of last summer chasing drivability issues. Rebuilt carbs from the bottom up, all new intake boots, new orings, fuel filter, plugs etc... Then came winter with no time to ride out the repairs. Spring arrived with the few warm days inbetween the rain. I yearned to put the battery in and go! Guess what didnt happen -- I went but very poorly. Today I finally had time to disassemble and examine -- I missed nothing, no air leaks, all bolts tight, new gas as I never filled it last year.

The only thing I never tried was reinstalling the ole vboost. So at it we went, installed, synced carbs which were way off after installing the vboost. Took quite a while but they are damn close now. Much different from a few days ago and the last sync.

My 2 cents? Use the vboost till it wears out. Made a huge difference for me, synching carbs was much more accurate and it just runs better. Who knows maybe I missed something the last time.

Cheers

I agree. I have the Stage 7. I opened the boost to see how the eng performed. It was a little radical and sluggish in the lower rpms. Who races under 6K rpms? I personally think it's a gimmick. Besides, I like the sound out of my Kerkers at 85-90 mph, right before the boost opens up. Maybe thats why I cruise that fast on the hiway.:ummm: I would imagine fuel economy suffers also by keeping the boost constantly open.

I close vboost to sync only. For stock bike, stock vboost is the way to go. With mine unplugged I get a bit better mileage than stock vboost.

Mark, Are you saying you get better mileage w/ the boost open? If so, how much and under what conditions, city/ highway? I'd put up w/ a low 'rough' rpm if I'd pick up some mpg.

With stock vboost and stage 7 needles I was getting 37-39 mpg highway. With open vboost I get 38 - 44 mpg. I recently upped my PAJ2's to 177.5 Mikuni's.

I am tuned for no vboost open all the time. I avg 110 miles to low fuel comes on. Only time I need Vboost closed is for synching the carbs
V-Boost sucks! Sell it on Ebay in Europe you can get 500.00 for em! Take the 500 and put it towards a kerker 4-2-1 system.

So, better mileage with V-boost always open???

My v-boost control box is not working. I am thinking of just putting a toggle switch in to open and close the v-boost manually.

Really don't want to spend the cash on a new control unit.

Obviously they need to be closed for sync, but how do you tune differently for them to be open all the time???

Well, I ran around for awhile w/ the boost open. Seemed like my Kerkers were a pinch louder at the lower rpms. Thrust didn't pick up well till 7500-8k rpms. Mileage went down around 4 mpg. Ruff idle when cold. (More than usual.) The miles were local 20/ 80, city/ hwy. Am going to plug 'er back in. Had to try it again. No boost may be great for some, just not for this Max.

Latest posts

Back