veypor tach/speedo: interesting features

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does replace tacho and speedo, but many others do that too.
Most interesting are the gear indicator, acceleration measure and the tuning features.
They explain it's similar to a dyno test. I just wonder if it really works.

I have one of those as well and love it.... one of the best features is the gas guage.... super accurate once calibrated properly. usually leve my bike on reserve and just use the veypor's guage, tells you distance traveled, remaining range, fuel consumed, instant mpg, and average mpg.... good to know when your tank aint real big...

also has the dyno function... supposed to simulate a dynometer, which it does...kinda. Dont expect your numbers to match a dynojet dynometer, it wont. the guage cannot factor in rolling resistance or wind resistance so you numbers will appear low unless you make some adjustments. basically you enter the bikes weight and it uses that info along with speed and time to calculate hp and torque.

there are a couple of problems associated with using this function though.

1. you need a real good patch of road. no cops, no bumps, no traffic. I usually do a pull in second gear 5k to redline. if the road surface has some bumps or lumps the rear wheel may get a momentary lift off the pavement and you will get a spike and hp will be off.

2. the hp readings are low, as stated. if you know where you bike dyno's at, if you had a recent dyno test done, you can play with the weight input to dial it in to be closer to what a real dynometer would read

3. seems like every run gives you a different number, generally close to the same but not totally consistant, this may be true on the real deal dyno's as well....I dunno, I aint got one of those. generally I will do a group of pulls and average the data after throwing out runs that appear to be off due to wheel lift or are clearly out of the box for some reason. this may make it a bit difficult to really identify small gains of a HP or two or three... the veypor position is that it doesent matter what the numbers are you are trying to establish which direcetion they are going when tuning, more is good less is bad...simple as that

4. software doesnt seem to like my computer, any of them.... you can download the dyno data to your pc and the algorythim used by the pc is supposed to provide more accurate readings than the veypor guage itself. you may do a pull and your veypor will say 110 hp, then you download the data and it can be 100hp... kida big on the spread if you ask me. getting the software to work on my pc's seems to be hit and miss and I rarely use this feature allthough I had hoped to be able to save the files and compare them over time, just really not doing that due to technical frustrations.

even thought I obviously have some critisizims of the device I still highly recomend them due to the basic features of speedo, tacho, gas guage, and trip computer being so blasted usefull.. the tacho and speedo are rediculously accurate and when you get one of these veypors installed you will realize how far off some tacho's and speeo's are. as far as the gas guage and trip meter..... how many gallons you got? ....yeah you'd better mange them well....lol

too bad they didnt follow up with the o2 sensor option they were talking about doing.... gps wouda been great too..lol

there are several displays to chose from it will also record 0 to 60 and 1/4 passes. the only problem i have had is i do not like the shift light thats built in i use a raptor shift light. bacchus hit on a alot of the features i have the vr2 with the aluminum case its the only speedo i have i to recomend it. you can also log on for firm ware updates like the feature for average mpg on mine i got that thourgh a update.

I have one of those as well and love it.... one of the best features is the gas guage.... super accurate once calibrated properly. usually leve my bike on reserve and just use the veypor's guage, tells you distance traveled, remaining range, fuel consumed, instant mpg, and average mpg.... good to know when your tank aint real big...

also has the dyno function... supposed to simulate a dynometer, which it does...kinda. Dont expect your numbers to match a dynojet dynometer, it wont. the guage cannot factor in rolling resistance or wind resistance so you numbers will appear low unless you make some adjustments. basically you enter the bikes weight and it uses that info along with speed and time to calculate hp and torque.

there are a couple of problems associated with using this function though.

1. you need a real good patch of road. no cops, no bumps, no traffic. I usually do a pull in second gear 5k to redline. if the road surface has some bumps or lumps the rear wheel may get a momentary lift off the pavement and you will get a spike and hp will be off.

2. the hp readings are low, as stated. if you know where you bike dyno's at, if you had a recent dyno test done, you can play with the weight input to dial it in to be closer to what a real dynometer would read

3. seems like every run gives you a different number, generally close to the same but not totally consistant, this may be true on the real deal dyno's as well....I dunno, I aint got one of those. generally I will do a group of pulls and average the data after throwing out runs that appear to be off due to wheel lift or are clearly out of the box for some reason. this may make it a bit difficult to really identify small gains of a HP or two or three... the veypor position is that it doesent matter what the numbers are you are trying to establish which direcetion they are going when tuning, more is good less is bad...simple as that

4. software doesnt seem to like my computer, any of them.... you can download the dyno data to your pc and the algorythim used by the pc is supposed to provide more accurate readings than the veypor guage itself. you may do a pull and your veypor will say 110 hp, then you download the data and it can be 100hp... kida big on the spread if you ask me. getting the software to work on my pc's seems to be hit and miss and I rarely use this feature allthough I had hoped to be able to save the files and compare them over time, just really not doing that due to technical frustrations.

even thought I obviously have some critisizims of the device I still highly recomend them due to the basic features of speedo, tacho, gas guage, and trip computer being so blasted usefull.. the tacho and speedo are rediculously accurate and when you get one of these veypors installed you will realize how far off some tacho's and speeo's are. as far as the gas guage and trip meter..... how many gallons you got? ....yeah you'd better mange them well....lol
Good info on the features of the Veypor! What type of sensor are you using to get the fuel levels in the tank? Are there any write-ups of info on your setup?
TIA

the fuel gauge is figured mathematically the only sensores are magnetic pick-up at rear wheel hot wire ground wire and coil hook up. no need for write up its all in the directions. its kinda of a pain to set up speedo but you only have to do it once the only time i had to redo anything was when i got a new rear tire it threw off the gear indicator.

correct no sender unit to install.... the veypor learns your fuel usage... mine is often accurate to the 100ths of a gallon.... in other words if it says you got gas, you do.... if it says you aint got gas...you are prolly pushing

Latest posts

Back