Virago's "Box-O-Rocks"

Discussion in 'VBoost Room' started by Edward, Jun 12, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2019 #1

Edward

Edward

Edward

These posts bring a warm feeling to my heart. Fire-medic is correct. The best way to fix the GEN I 920 Virago starter is to upgrade to the GENII system that uses a solenoid to pull the starter gears into the flywheel gears. It is NOT necessary to purchase a stator and space it out IF you use ONLY a side cover from a 1984 or 1985 1000, 920 or 750 engine. The spacers are required when using a side cover from later years.

This is the ultimate fix and I don't even think about the "box-o-rocks" sound when I start her "Baby" up.

"Box-o-rocks" Ha, Ha. I have always felt that would be a GREAT name for a rock band!

You can't really see the GENII starter setup (it's on the other side.) If you look closely it's possible to make out the starter solenoid above the starter itself.
    P1010012.JPG
    No wait.. Here's one.

P1010027.JPG
    The side cover is from a 1984 XV1000L as I recall.

Now... let me tell you all about "Baby," my beloved XV920K... No, No! Don't get me started!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Jun 12, 2019 #2

Pighuntingpuppy

Pighuntingpuppy

Pighuntingpuppy

Looks like you have the same Jardine slash cuts as me. You are right....that is the ultimate fix. But like I said, when I priced it out, it was about $1000 10 years ago. Havent ridden much since then after the Virago hit 100K. She needs a new carb to run perfect again. Ive dealt with the noise for years so it never really bothered me much.

And go on ahead, do tell, LOL. I wont mind.

Mine, quick history, bought with 7000 miles on it. Originally a 750. Riding it out to NM from NY, I toasted that engine. Dunno what went wrong. Had either piston slap or wrist pin slap. Those are my best guesses since a valve adjust did nothing to quiet it.

I converted to a single carb and manifold, a Seca front fork system with anti-dive, Seca 18" rear wheel to drop RPM. Custom prisma shift paint and custom upholstered seat. Best MPG was 55 averaging 40-45. 2 up was in the 30s. Bike went down once hitting a huge transmission slick. Basically did everything 2 times over on that bike and once I get a new carb, will re-do the bike for bike show rides and what not.

Attached Files:

3. Jun 13, 2019 at 10:34 AM #3

Edward

Edward

Edward

You are correct. They are Jardine slash cuts. Is yours an '82?

I had a problem with the fuel petcock and this allowed oil into the crankcase. The engine smoked like crazy. Maybe the same cause for "toasting" your original engine. The valves do make noise. This complaint is second only to the starter design.

It looks like you have replaced the original mirrors with VMAX issue. I did mine to get rid of the clunky square black OEMs. I have a high pressure Works Performance gas shock in the rear. Nikko horns 110 dB. Heavy oil in the forks to control the dive. Gapless rings. The carbs are original and the last time I cleaned them I was able to clear all of the passages. The air tube on my model is not removable.

I am running the OEM 16" rear wheel and I get about 125 miles to a tank. 115 MPH @ 6000RPM max. I wish there were some way to get a fifth gear because these bikes were designed when the max speed was 55MPH. I like the acceleration around town and this bike is my "sports car" It handles like a sport bike but not nearly as fast off the line as "Vivian" the VMAX.

I had some guy pull up next to me at a light when I was on the MAX and he took off as the light changed and ran right through the next light (it was red.) He was so determined to shut down a MAX. Our bikes do have a reputation.

Say did your ever discover that these bikes (GEN I Viragoes) have a reserve, reserve. If you have only one fuel petcock and you run out of gas on the highway, you can stop the bike, lay it over and splash some fuel from the side without the petcock to get to a gas station. I had to do this once.

The most difficult work I have done on this bike (other than R&R of the carbs) was replacement of the swing arm rod and bearings.

I love my "Baby."

4. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:33 PM #4

Pighuntingpuppy

Pighuntingpuppy

Pighuntingpuppy

Yup. Originally a 1982 XV750 now XV920 Midnight engine. You are right, they are very punchy off the light. Nothing there to keep it top speed though. My personal best was coming down a hill, pegged her out at 120ish.

I am confused....did you mean a 6th gear? Cause my Virago has always been 5 speed.

My original tank had dual petcocks that I made 2 into 1 for the carb. The new tank is a 920 tank with 1 petcock but its low enough that when I am out....I am out. I never had that dribble from side to side.

I also have the same spring in the back of mine as well. Red spring. I never had an issue with sticking floats or fuel getting into the engine. I do know that these engine always made noise. But this noise was competing with the exhaust. And since you and I have the same exhaust, you know that its a rumbly exhaust. This noise was on par with the exhaust. Like I said, I never got into the 750 to tell you what failed. At that time, I lived in an apartment complex and the engine was boosted out of the bed of my truck. My best guess was wrist pin or piston slap.

About 9 years ago, I had a timing chain guide break on the front cylinder(seems to be the problem one with me), and the timing had jumped. I bent the intake valve. A few years ago, I broke down and replaced the head. The bike started and ran, but ran poorly. Carb diaphragm is toast among 100K miles on the carb. I rather replace it with a flat side or something. The bike will never be a daily rider again. Just a take to the show and back type bike.

People can say whatever they want about that old XV...but 100K miles and a Bunburner 1500 under it makes it a worthy contender for what it is.

5. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:02 PM #5

jedi-

jedi-

jedi-

I have had a couple of these and currently have an XV1000 TR1 to be either restored or converted to a Cafe Racer. The TR1 has a chain drive unlike the others with an enclosed case around it to keep it clean. There's probably not a lot of the TR1's kicking around now.[​IMG]

Julian Tomkins likes this.
  6. Jun 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM #6

Edward

Edward

Edward

Of course, you are correct. The Virago is a 5 speed.

The way the 1983 920 tank wraps over the frame and with a single petcock on the left makes it impossible for the right side of the tank to completely drain once the fuel drops below the level of the frame.

The Jardines are indeed loud. A bit much so for my taste but I like the look.

The Works Performance spring I have on mine is blue. It has a remote nitrogen gas reservoir held in place on the right side seat rail. You can see it in the pic. It is precharged to 225 psi. It controls damping and rebound and controls drive shaft effect very well.

We need to preserve these beautiful GEN I Viragoes. So many are being parted out or sold as a basis for "bobber" builds.

Why would it run poorly after head replacement? I'm sure, based on your knowledge, that you checked but that sounds like mistiming of the valves or poor valve sealing. Maybe the chain is stretched.

7. Jun 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM #7

Edward

Edward

Edward

If you did this build... you TRULY ARE a JEDI!

8. Jun 15, 2019 at 10:02 AM #8

VMAXXIMUM

VMAXXIMUM

VMAXXIMUM

If that isn't an absolute blast to ride, nothing is. That is one good looking bike. These mega horsepower bikes that can't be ridden without a full suite to electronic aids to keep one upright must be great for someone. I'll take that XV over all of them and have more fun.