"Virgil Hilt's" Great Escape-Alternative ending

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
You "willed" Steve McQueen up into the air when you saw the motorcycle escape attempt, trying to jump the barbed wire fence to freedom into Switzerland, during the movie, "The Great Escape." Unfortunately for the American military P.O.W. he came a cropper and landed tangled in that barbed wire fence he tried to clear on his stolen motorcycle.

Here's an alternative ending: http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/articles/mcqueens-great-escape-ending-actually-wanted-re-enacted/

Last edited:
Yeah, the Rickman being offered as a tribute to Steve McQueen certainly looks like the 1960's 'desert sleds' of the time. It is one, just manufactured in the present and using a refurbished vintage Triumph TR6 Trophy parallel-twin single-carb engine.

steve_mcqueen_motorcycle-1.jpg
mcqueen2_2068663b2.jpg

2.jpg
mcquen-swf.jpg

That was a sad movie, and based on a true story of a German POW camp, they fared better than the Holocaust camp internees, though, unless they were shot for trying to escape, a fate that befell many of the unfortunate soldier POW's who tried.

Loved that movie and is part of my movie collection. I would have enjoyed the alternate ending to see him make it! They just don't make those kind of movies anymore and it is hard for me to even consider collecting any of the current movies except just a select few now and then. I work as a custom audio/video integrator and I see a lot of movies but the classics are still my favorites! Not much these days lets you use your imagination and see the genius in what was created with very limited technology. Ha, makes me wanna watch a little "Cool Hand Luke" or the car chase in "Bullitt" tonite! :eusa_dance:

Back