vmax gen i and ii wrecks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking this unusual request on a positive side, sign-up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Advanced RiderCourse (yes, 1 word). You will learn about bike maintenance, driving under the influence, countersteering, weather conditions, protective riding gear, riding two-up, and much more. Operator drills help to associate classroom time with riding dynamics.
I took it about five years ago and wanted to do it again this year. All the coursed by me are already full for the year and we have snow everywhere. There are only a handful compared to the basic course and they sell out fast. :(

I always tell everyone .who asks me to teach them how to ride. " Take a course, they will cover. Things I do on instinct alone. That are so natural for me.I will not even think about telling you ".

I will say this
Dress for the crash.
No flip flops

Know your limits, don't do stuff you normally would not in hopes of keeping up with someone, continually scan everything that can be seen, plan ahead...and never underestimate the ignorance of other drivers...in 46 years on the road I hit the pavement one time purely out of my own stupidity, as it wasn't fun at all I never plan to do it again...but one never knows what's around the corner.
One thing to add, ride like you're invisible, that way it's not a surprise when folks try to kill you out of inattention.

I always tell everyone .who asks me to teach them how to ride. " Take a course, they will cover. Things I do on instinct alone. That are so natural for me.I will not even think about telling you ".

I will say this
Dress for the crash.
No flip flops
Dress for the slide, not for the ride. ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) I'm a motorcycle safety rep with my military unit so it's a pet peeve for me.

There are times when Arizona makes it tough to be a believer in ATGATT.

You guys remember this conversation. That way you won’t bust my chops when I park my motorcycles in June, July and August.

There are times when Arizona makes it tough to be a believer in ATGATT.

You guys remember this conversation. That way you won’t bust my chops when I park my motorcycles in June, July and August.
Vented/mesh jacket and pants ftw. We don't get quite as hot here, but that keeps me comfortable as long as I have air flow over me.

i saw a youtube sight with a120 mph crash the poor guy was tore in half bad very bad

the island of man 133 mp h superbike school, motogp sometimes the technical side of motorcycling is best to know at 60mph equals 66 feet per second at at 150mph it is226 feet per second all most a football field yes reaction this yes very important but the bikes limits are important to way back in the day we had what we call a one ton reaching 100 mph on 650 cc motorcycle
How about "almost"

i saw a youtube sight with a120 mph crash the poor guy was tore in half bad very bad

the island of man 133 mp h superbike school, motogp sometimes the technical side of motorcycling is best to know at 60mph equals 66 feet per second at at 150mph it is226 feet per second all most a football field yes reaction this yes very important but the bikes limits are important to way back in the day we had what we call a one ton reaching 100 mph on 650 cc motorcycle
"torn"

One thing to add, ride like you're invisible, that way it's not a surprise when folks try to kill you out of inattention.
I tell non riders; the second I'm riding in the city or any busy road I automatically turn into the Terminator. Relentlessly scanning everything like I'm going to war and everything is out to get me. I can't remember the term, but it's been proven that cagers have been clearly responsible for crashes even when clearly spotting the rider and having plenty of time to react. It has to do with the brain disregarding the info received due to the fact it doesn't regard the perceived object as relevant or even there since it's not a car or truck which is what their brain is trained to look out for while driving. I call it cager brain farts.

Sometimes there are things we encounter that are completely out of our control, no matter how wary and conscious we are of our environment.

Some years ago, I was traveling at about 50 miles an hour or so - probably a bit too close - to the back of a truck when a full sheet of plywood lifted up, shot about 20 feet up into the air, turned rearward and then neatly sailed just over the top of my helmet.

I thought to myself, “Hmm...” and went on about my business. It wasn’t until later that I really assessed and appreciated what had happened… or more importantly what didn’t happen. I guess that was one case where following too close was a good thing.

But I think my point is, that you do your best to maintain control of your machine and to be extremely vigilant with regard to any potential “undesirable interactions”. But don’t let any of that get in your way of enjoying the privilege of splitting the wind.

Because weird things can happen.

Sometimes there are things we encounter that are completely out of our control, no matter how wary and conscious we are of our environment.

Some years ago, I was traveling at about 50 miles an hour or so - probably a bit too close - to the back of a truck when a full sheet of plywood lifted up, shot about 20 feet up into the air, turned rearward and then neatly sailed just over the top of my helmet.

I thought to myself, “Hmm...” and went on about my business. It wasn’t until later that I really assessed and appreciated what had happened… or more importantly what didn’t happen. I guess that was one case where following too close was a good thing.

But I think my point is, that you do your best to maintain control of your machine and to be extremely vigilant with regard to any potential “undesirable interactions”. But don’t let any of that get in your way of enjoying the privilege of splitting the wind.

Because weird things can happen.
Yep, when my mom asked me about motorcycle riding and the associated dangers. I told her I'm careful and vigilant and wear gear all the time. For everything else I carry a lot of life insurance 😜. Not quite what she wanted to hear, but it's the truth. Prepare as best you can for the worst case scenario and put the rest in God's hands.

Just this past week, I called the Florida Highway Patrol (call, *347) to report 4X8 ft sheet goods lying in traffic lanes of I-95. That's probably the second time in a month I did that, for the same-sized material.

A couple of months ago, I passed two sheets of plywood lying on the side of I-95 in Miami. When they were still there the next time I passed, I stopped and retrieved them. One was perfect, & the other had a small area of delamination, but 3/4" and 5/8" full sheets, probably $85 of material these days. I've already use them for several small projects.

There are many a$$ho's on the road these days, I think that really hasn't ever-changed. Riding a bike, I've had a guy in a hot-rod '55 Chevy intentionally-flick his burnt-down cigarette butt onto me, in MI. We were just sitting at a light, and as the light changed, he did it. I took off, and I'm proud to say that the new Yamaha I was riding had no-problem out-accelerating him, as he banged the gears in a vain attempt to catch me, I assume to run me over, and to split. That was a long-time ago, just proof road a$$ho's transcend time. Like they said about ChickenMan, "he's everywhere, he's everywhere!"

...just to add a little context and humor to the experience I related above:

OK, it was on a scooter in the Bahamas and my wife was on the back. There. I said it. But the memory still gives me chills.

Secure your loads.

DTA (Dont Trust ANYONE.) CONSTANT scanning. And don't open it up unless you're all clear for at least a few hundred yards.

Riding one evening on my old zx9.In traffic at 45mph.All of a sudden.There is a dead raccoon.I knew i was hitting it.So i squared it up.took weight of the seat.and ended up.using it as a ramp.jumped over it. And on down the road.If I didn't have my.offroad skills.it could have been ugly

Did you all see the street racing video where a fool at the end of the course runs across the road and sliced by the bike ? Night time no less !

Back