Voltage regulator.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
My new Lithium super pricey battery was dead after sitting for a couple of weeks. I charged it and knew there was a parasitic draw someplace. Then Christian started it up for me and
smoke was coming from the R/R area. When I got there, I fired it up and felt the R/R. It got hot fast so I pulled the inline fuse on the battery lead, I had added. It still was hand burning hot.
This R/R was the later model and only a few month old. I'm going to dive in as soon as I get back home. Hopefully the Venture stator is still putting out good A/C. Any ideas from you all appreciated.
I think I bought the R/R on E-bay. Probably my first mistake

Likely it's just a bad regulator. Occasionally even the new ones we sell fail (though usually not in a smokey mess).

It is possible the dead battery killed the regulator by drawing too much current.

Did you charge the battery and start the engine off the battery or use jump leads connected to another batter to start the engine then let the engine charge the battery after removing the leads?

Most large capacity motorcycles of my era 70,80,90s would have 3 phase system so the rectifier/regulator are basically the same, differing in size depending on engine size and connector type.

What I would suggest is not to buy a £13 ebay regulator from China but find a clean s/h one by Kawasaki on ebay.

Obviously you are on the same continent ad Mr. Morely so that would be a good place to go.

Generally car/motorcycle lectronic components are very reliable these days failure usually is the result of something else.

BTW you need to isolate the battery drain. Go about by connecting via a dvm (starting with the highest current range) the battery + to positive cable then unplug connectors with the ignition off.

Any aftermarket electrical items, vboost overrides, USB charge points, lights, alarms, gauges, would be the first place to start.

Good luck.

Back