washing the coolant space

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omrisolo

Reaction score
i got a 99 max with an overheating problem
a few of you recomended to wash the coolant engine space
what is the best way to wash it and what is the Procedure for that?

(sorry for the bad english "made in israel")

Are you referring to "changing the engine coolant" omrisolo?

Old dirty coolant could be causing your overheating.

Do you have an owners manual, coolant change is covered pretty well in there.

This would be a great help to you also....
<LEGEND>
pdf.gif
Vmax service manual
</LEGEND>

danny

Also you should check the drain cock valve position.

Typicaly 2 o'clock and OFF mark.

i ment to wash the spaces with some chimical or water to see if there is
some blocking that cause the overheating. (its getting hot in normal ride not in the city).

i change the coolant clean the radiator and take out the thermo just for test and nothing. the rad drain valve was blocking with dirt and i suspect
that the engine also.

i ment to wash the spaces with some chimical or water to see if there is
some blocking that cause the overheating. (its getting hot in normal ride not in the city).

i change the coolant clean the radiator and take out the thermo just for test and nothing. the rad drain valve was blocking with dirt and i suspect
that the engine also.

I think you are referring to the 'water jackets' in the engine! Not sure on that, probably a good chemical flush from your local auto parts would work.

You may also want to take the radiator to a radiator shop to be professionally cleaned, or boiled out. It might be full of calcium deposits and scale.

I think you are referring to the 'water jackets' in the engine! Not sure on that, probably a good chemical flush from your local auto parts would work.

You may also want to take the radiator to a radiator shop to be professionally cleaned, or boiled out. It might be full of calcium deposits and scale.

+1 on the rad, take it to the shop to be cleaned and tested.

WHITE VINEGAR and distilled water. Run till up to temp and drain and repeat if necessary. Vinegar is one of the best cleaners out there for almost anything actually...

Keep car windows frost-free overnight in winter by coating them with a solution of 3 parts white distilled vinegar to 1 part water.

Polish car chrome with full-strength white distilled vinegar on a soft cloth.

Remove unwanted decals and bumper stickers by covering them with a cloth soaked in white distilled vinegar, or by repeatedly spraying them with full-strength white distilled vinegar. They should peel off in a couple of hours.

Rid the windshield wipers of road grime by wiping them with a white distilled vinegar-soaked cloth.

Remove the leftover odor after a rider has been carsick by leaving a bowl of white distilled vinegar overnight on the floor.

Get rid of hard water stains on your car with a rinse made from 3 parts soft water to one part white distilled vinegar.

Wipe vinyl upholstery with a mixture of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water.

Remove winter road salt residue on car carpeting by spraying with a mixture of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water, then blot with a soft towel.

Remove the hazy film that builds up on inside windows by spraying with white distilled vinegar.

Remove dirt and stains from car carpeting with a mixture of half white distilled vinegar and half water.

When doing car maintenance, soak rusty bolts and screws with white distilled vinegar to make them easier to remove.

Loosen chewing gum stuck to carpeting or upholstery by soaking it in white distilled vinegar.

Create an all-purpose window cleaner with a few ounces of white distilled vinegar in a quart of water.

Make your car extra shiny by adding a few drops of white distilled vinegar to your bucket of water.

By the way... Your English is better than some of the folks form GB, AU, and here in the US... What do you consider HOT? These bikes run warm so many put a fan over ride switch on them to turn the fan on manually. Actually removing the stat can cause issue because it can cause the coolant speed to increase which doesn't allow it to stay in the radiator and cool enough before returning for duty.

Cheers,
Chris

This is good info Chris. The flush...should the system be drained completely, then filled with say 50/50 white vinegar and water solution, or drained partially (maybe a quart or so) and replace the drained amout with the solution?

Sounds like a great spring maintenence plan.

Yes make sure you start with a "dry" cooling system. Drain out coolant and add water and white vinegar. I didn't do 50/50 but you could I suppose. I probably did 80/20 water/vinegar. Mine had a whopping 1300 miles on it I believe. I like getting the stock coolant out right away. It tends to have casting particles in it and what not.

Chris

I've never heard of this, but it sure sounds like a good idea to me!!

Omrisolo...why not give this white vinegar/water solution a try before doing anything else, it might fix your problems.

I simply drained, flushed WELL with water, let drain for an additional hour+ then refilled with Engine Ice. Bike runs cooler :) Don't know if it was the engine ice or the actual flush of old coolant.

yes i will try the viniger thing thanks. the radiator washed outside in a shop
and the man said that it was preety clean with no scale inside.

refering the temp of max in the "old times" in open roads the temp point on
the middle of the white zone. now it raising 2or 3 mm below the red zone.
and then i stop the engine not get to the red zone.
one more small q . its possible that the radiator cap can cause it?

That's not HOT! That's about normal! Get a fan over ride switch. Many how to guides here.

Yes your cap may be bad. Doesn't happen often though.

Chris

o.k but its not stops there the temp still going up and i dont take any chances
and its not as before. and when the fan goes in its not helping. (i didnt try overide the fan to work from the start. but i think the wind in open road much stronger than the fan. i will try that too)

I think that you have hot climate in Israel so you should always have preety high temp. But if you're refering that overheating problems just started to occur so the problem may be somwhere else.

You must check few things. First you must fill the whole cooling system with air and check for leaks. If its not leaking then you must examine water pump and see if there's no mechanical damage.

If you will find any leak then you might have bigger problems like bad cylinder head gasket.

That would be good oportunity to check radiator filling cap.

Open road blasting wind works 20 times more then radiator fan.
If that not helping do not coutinue ride before solving the problem.

Also if you have any temp meter check the temp of front and rear cylinders.
Check that they're the same.

Good luck.

If the fan turns on and you see NO change then I would suspect a thermostat problem.

Also make sure your pump is actually pumping...

Chris

i am happy to say that the problem solved and max on the road again
happy and cool very cool (below the middle of the white scale on the open road)
there was a dirt in the system but the main was the radiator cap that open too early
and keep open to much even that he was new.( not original ) anyway thank you all for the help. now i can go to sleep for a lonnnnng time.

cheers

Latest posts

Back