Well, I'm a dumbass....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Finally figured out the problem on my bike today after calling John at PCW, my dumbass installed the front cams wrong... I thought the marks would only line up one way but he instructed me that they will line up both ways.. Basically I only went the 70 degrees from #1 tdc on comp stroke when I should have went 360 degrees back to tdc comp stoke on #1 and then went the additional 70 degrees to the tdc mark for #2 I could have sworn I did it right but the front bank was giving me fits so I know I must've lost track... Cams are out right now, getting ready to go reinstall them the right way this time! LOL

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Glad you figured out your problem!.................Now let us know how that bad boy runs!..............Tom.

As you found out they will actually run with them installed wrong. Didn't even think to ask you to check that since you said your compression test showed good.

Sean

Sounds like something that would happen to me. Everyday is a new adventure working on these Vmax's.....

What, no "DUH award" for this guy? :biglaugh:

Should that be a "D'OH!" award request?:ummm:

I once helped my friend, a pro. mechanic, build a Windsor 351 for my Ford van. We put-in new 10:1 flat top pistons, a crank kit, re-did the heads, & a 302 bump-stick that had a different firing order than the 351. It had originally developed low oil pressure and I decided to make the repairs instead of getting onto payments. With the machine shop work & other parts, it cost about a grand. Best $ I ever spent. I owned that van for 17 years, went back & forth to Canada from FL multiple times, towed boats, trailers for my bikes, and construction equipment sometimes. It wasn't thrifty but it was a workhorse and reliable. I scrawled into the fan shroud the different timing order so that whoever bought it could have it worked-on correctly, and told the guy about it when I sold it. I can just imagine him completely ignoring my instructions, and then trying to change spark plugs & wires/rotor & cap, and wondering, "why in (&*(^&&^$#!!!+** won't this truck start and run?" :bang head:Shoulda paid attention, or read the information for "firing order" scratched-into the fan shroud/radiator support.

Glad you finally caught it.

Well it is an easy mistake to make, for some reason I was thinking one revolution meant one complete cycle of the engine but that's 720 degrees not 360... Won't happen again that's for sure, everything's installed right now and probably about 2 more hours of work and I'll be ready to light her off again but that's waiting till tomorrow... I'm beat!

Congrats at finding that one. Persistence paid off.
I went over my cam setup like 100 times because the way they are marked is f*ing confusing! What a stupid system! I don't think you deserve a D'oh award for that one.

Ah well, maybe the ride in the morning will all be worth it! :biglaugh:

I went over my cam setup like 100 times because the way they are marked is f*ing confusing! What a stupid system! I don't think you deserve a D'oh award for that one.

I don't think so either.

Thanks, I don't think I do either... I got it running today and its an animal, can't wait to get to the track now :)

Back