what am i missing here?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighter

Reaction score
Okay I have my first set of super trapps, the pipes are all that i received. I ordered 2 inch t clamps from summitt racing and they are too big. That was after they ran the super trapp number. Also one of my rear down pipes seems to be too short, if it connects on the top the bottom is out. Some questions:
Besides the $18 a piece clamps, what is the correct clamp and size to use?
Why does the down pipe on the left side seem too short, the other side is fine?
Am I supposed to reuse the gaskets that are in the original muffler inlets?

When I had supertraps I didn't use any clamps. The pipes only actually "sliped" on maybe about 1/2 inch and wouldn't get any further. They had to be heated up to "slip" on all the day. If you heat them up, you don't need any clamps just make sure they sit all the way in on your exhaust pipes.

Did you have any problems with the rear pipes that run down from the engine? The one on the left seems to not be long enough. If i bottom it out kn the super trapp inlet the top pulls out of the engine.

Did you have any problems with the rear pipes that run down from the engine? The one on the left seems to not be long enough. If i bottom it out kn the super trapp inlet the top pulls out of the engine.
Didn't really have any length issues, I did have to move the rear pipes a lilttle bit to make sure everything lines up. It can be a bit of a pain lying on your back on a concrete floor :) My back pipes had a bit of play to them, what you can do is unbolt the rear pipes at the top put your supertraps on then bolt the pipes up. Everything should line up. It would help if you could post some pictures but if your stock pipes were on fine then there is no reason supertraps should not fit. Unless they are bent:ummm:

Okay I have my first set of super trapps, the pipes are all that i received. I ordered 2 inch t clamps from summitt racing and they are too big. That was after they ran the super trapp number. Also one of my rear down pipes seems to be too short, if it connects on the top the bottom is out. Some questions:
Besides the $18 a piece clamps, what is the correct clamp and size to use?

I just went to the hardware store and got metal clamps that fitted over the trapps' endings - cost pennies each.
Why does the down pipe on the left side seem too short, the other side is fine?
probably one of the headers got knocked out of line, easiest way to fit any mufflers is to loosen the rear headers (at the cylinders) and then retighten after the mufflers are on.
Am I supposed to reuse the gaskets that are in the original muffler inlets?
No - those are for the OEM ones only. The Trapps should be a snug fit over the header pipe endings

hope this helps

The super trapps are sloppy on the inside pipes, and still will not go all the way up on the inside left side unless it pulls the top out. Should the shole system dront to back be loosened?

Both rear head pipes are completely disconnected and the super trapps do not fit tight on the inside pipes. The inside pipe on the left bottom is sloppy and will fif znug without pulling the top out completely. Jusr about ready to give up on the trapps!

Mine Slipped right on No Heat or Clamps needed.
They didn't actually go all the way to the Lip of the OEM Pipes, but they Don't leak.
Pics attached.

Attachments

• Left Side Slippon-Exhaust Joint.JPG
    Left Side Slippon-Exhaust Joint.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Right Side Slippon-Exhaust Joint.JPG
    Right Side Slippon-Exhaust Joint.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 23
None of my pipes fit very tight, the bottom inside connections seem to be a bitch. It will have to have something to seal it. Clamp or some type of gasket, it does leak. Any suggestions?

A bit of rock wool (insulation stuff) or other glass fiber wool that does not melt, and then a nice strong clamp over it, and Bob's yer uncle.

On duty now but i will stop by advance auto and see if they have anything. There is no room for movement either way on the rear pipes. Seems like these would work loose. Anyone else that is running trapps, i would like to see pics oc the pipe connections.

On duty now but i will stop by advance auto and see if they have anything. There is no room for movement either way on the rear pipes. Seems like these would work loose. Anyone else that is running trapps, i would like to see pics oc the pipe connections.

I posted Pictures on the first page of this thread.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=240612&postcount=9

And you can use Hi-Temp RTV Silicone to seal them if necessary.
Just apply some to the OEM Pipe ends before installing the Slip-ons.
Or do what NaughtyG suggested.

Last edited:
You sure they sent you the correct pipes for the Vmax? I installed them on my old 1985 years ago and they went right on, no clamps, no adjustment, no leaks.... Strange....

I wasn't sure if you were describing slip-ons or full system til I saw DMan's pics. I put my slip-ons on with no drama also and clamped them up as well.

F/F: Maybe you received an out-of-spec pipe? That's the only thing that's starting to make sense to me if the front connection is indeed all the way on.......keep us posted on the outcome.

Or maybe something got bent in shipping? I took a pair of supertrapps off a parts bike and fitted them to my '86 and they went on like gloves.

If they are new, I would try getting them exchanged.

Back