What the hell are these ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
I need to ask a few questions : I was hoping someone else would but till now I have never seen anybody ask so here it goes.

What the hell is a stator ? What does it do ?

What the hell is a rectifier ? What does it do ?

What the hell is a stage 7 kit ? Why is it called that ?

What the hell are emulators ? What do they do and look like or how do they work?

Yes, I know I should know this by now but I rather ask than just guess.

The stator is under the big cover on the left side.It is coils of wire around the flywheel.It makes three phase ac voltage.The rectifier-regulator turns the ac into dc voltage.12 volt.

Stage 7 is a jet kit with new adjustable needles,restrictors,slide springs and main jets.Requires individual filters or Sean's new style airbox for the extra air needed.This can be run with vboost or unplugged open vboost or vboost removed all together.

emulators,I do not have them but I think it is adjustable tops to change the spring tension.I could be wrong on that.

What the hell is a stator ? What does it do ?
>the stator is in the left side of the engine case. It produces 3-phase power for the bike.

What the hell is a rectifier ? What does it do ?
>The rectifier transforms the 3-phase AC power to DC so the bike can use it. It's located behind the left passenger foot peg.

What the hell is a stage 7 kit ? Why is it called that ?
It's a dynojet brand jet kit that eliminates the v-boost butterflies and air box. There was once a stage 1,3, and 7, but now I believe they only make the 1, and 7 (if memory serves)

What the hell are emulators ? What do they do and look like or how do they work?
>I don't have a clue! :ummm:

I'm a day late and a dollar short... Just why the hell is that?

Last edited:
Holy shit you guys are fast ! I thank you very much for the clarification on these questions. You hear sometimes people talk about them but it sucks when you have no idea what they are for. Now I do.

I just installed these emulators, and while I have not driven it yet just the feel of the forks afterward is WAY different. they are stiffer and more linear throughout the stroke. Can't wait to drive it and really feel how they work.

Here is a snippet I found on the web, along with a pic

Race Tech Emulators

How does a Race Tech Emulator work and why is it so good?

Some people have asked if Emulators really emulate something. Well, the full name of these wonderful devices, brought to the market in 1993 by Race Tech's owner/founder Paul Thede, is Race Tech Cartridge Emulators. So yes, they do emulate something: Cartridge forks.

RT (Race Tech) Emulators are little devices that use a single shim to control the compression damping of the fork. The shim sits on top of a machined brass housing that is placed between the damper rod and the fork spring. When the forks are compressed, oil is forced up the damper rod and toward the Emulator. Oil is then forced through a small orifice on top of the Emulator. This orifice provides the LSD. When the velocity increases, the shim opens to let oil pass through. This shim controls HSD. As the forks are rebounding, a check valve underneath the body of the Emulator opens to let oil pass back thought the Damper Rod. The Emulator does nothing to affect the rebound damping characteristics of the forks.

Changes to the compression damping are made with changing the preload on the valve spring. As you increase the preload you increase both the LSD and HSD although, it will have more of an effect on LSD. Decreasing the preload on the valve spring will decrease both the LSD and HSD and again, it will have more of an effect on the LSD. Changes to rebound damping are made with a change in fork oil weight. If you desire more rebound damping, increase the fork oil weight. If reduced rebound damping is desired, decrease the fork oil weight. Be aware that changing the oil weight will also have an effect on compression damping.

The single greatest advantage to the addition of the RT Emulator is the ability of it to provide a linear damping curve. Put simply, your damping rod forks will now work like cartridge forks. What does this mean to you? Your damper rod forks can be tuned to provide increased LSD and decreased HSD. Your bike will dive less under braking, and it will soak up the nastiest of bumps and expansion joints. You will be riding down the highway with more comfort, and riding your favorite back roads with greater speed and a greater margin of safety. Are they really that good you ask? Yes they are! As many have said, "the best $140 you can spend on your bike."

Attachments

• emulator.jpg
    emulator.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 100
Being that I also ride a sport bike I got VERY used to my cartridge forks so after riding the Vmax with its POGO stick forks I decided to emulate the cartridge forks with Race-Tech emulators. WOW! 1kg straight rate (non progressive) springs, emulators and lowered 2 inches in front and this thing is DAMN good... Stock was simply scary to me... I bet my braking distance from 60 dropped 20 or more feet...:surprise:

I HIGHLY recommend this mod to EVERYONE!:thumbs up:

Is the installation very difficult ? I guess it is probably a good time to upgrade the springs at the same time, yes ?

I like when I see someone highly rate a mod.

My wife just asked me if I'm always going to be continually buying things and changing things on the bike. I just told her, only the good ones ! :biglaugh:

I also told her, anything that I do to the bike, just makes me wanna ride it even more. Agree ? They just don't understand.

Is the installation very difficult ? I guess it is probably a good time to upgrade the springs at the same time, yes ?

I was told that it wasn't... I sent mine in to Race-Tech because they weren't 100% sure they would work on an '06... I didn't want to cobble them up so I sent them in and for 390.00 bucks they did the job and shipped them back.

Remember that VMOA members get a 25% discount on parts from them... It pays for the membership and still saves you about 75 bucks...:surprise: :thumbs up:

I wouldn't mind becoming a member but then again, there is only so many cookies in the jar....sort of speak. Some things just have to wait.

I like when I see someone highly rate a mod.

My wife just asked me if I'm always going to be continually buying things and changing things on the bike. I just told her, only the good ones ! :biglaugh:

I also told her, anything that I do to the bike, just makes me wanna ride it even more. Agree ? They just don't understand.

not hard at all, i just did mine

Back