What's that noise??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8898

Reaction score
I love my 98 Vmax and the Kerker 4-1 sounds bad as hell. But it has a rattle that I can't seem to put my finger on when I rev it that seems to be coming from the exhaust. I mostly notice it when the engine is decelerating, but that could be because it's not making as much noise at the time. Anyway, I repacked the baffle, no help. Sounds like there's a piece of metal rattling inside the exhaust.

Anyone have any thoughts on the origin of the noise?

Thanks!

Walker

License plate or rear fender inner fender rattle maybe? My plate rattles on decel occasionally

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the exhaust itself. Didn't know if anyone else maybe had a Kerker come apart inside somehow or other. Probably have to pull the muffler off... maybe there's something inside... sure sounds like it.

I got an exhaust rattle when one of the holeshot cans had slipped out of the header....one of them didn't fit all that great and only overlapped like 1/2" and unless the clamp was on super tight it tended to eventually pop out, then rattle against the headpipe.

Check the bracket where kerker bolts to bike.I've had two different style kerkers,the one I have now has a flat style cap & if you get slop between it & tube inside,might rattle.plus if its loud,harmonics could make something near it rattle like fender like someone mentioned.

This prob isn't your problem......but when I have my stainless steel Supertrapps on the carbon build-up would occasionally release from the wall and rattle around in there until you take off the ends and fire up the bike to shoot them out.......:confused2:

Thanks for all the input. I'll just have to do some disassembling and see what I have.

I know I can rule out the center stand - it was removed by a previous owner. I assume it was required in order to install the Kerker system.

Thanks for all the input. I'll just have to do some disassembling and see what I have.

I know I can rule out the center stand - it was removed by a previous owner. I assume it was required in order to install the Kerker system.

Check-out your cut/bent centerstand bolts' mounting loops. Maybe it's 'phantom-bracket noise?' :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back