Whats the best regulator to upgrade to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidyanazo

Reaction score
I've read the fz6 is a good replacement, but I'm going to try fixing mine by removing the crimp and directly soldering the wires this weekend.:bang head:
If that does not fix my poor starting / battery draining problems, what is the best regulator to upgrade to?

What do the experts on this forum recommend??

Thanks guys

I just (yesterday) installed an Electro Sport replacement for the later model stock unit. Fits exactly like stock, but it is a bit taller due to the finning. The main difference (besides being a MOSFET type regulator) is that the new unit has a separate ground wire, which you should run directly to battery. If you run both positive and negative outputs to battery directly, you will bypass all the connections in the wiring harness that may be a bit corroded or dirty.
Each one will cost you a tiny bit of charging current, and they add up..

All the good points being mentioned, I put one in about 5 or 6 years ago, and it did fail last weekend. However, it worked so well, when it did work, I bought another one. I got it on Amazon, for about $58.00 shipped. I think a poorly done solder joint at the stator plug may have hastened toe old units demise...

Solder all your connections, and if you haven't done it yet, make sure you take a good look at the plug between the stator and the regulator. These have been known to melt from resistance caused overheating.. Lots of riders just cut the plug out of the circuit and solder or crimp the connections. Being AC current, there is no "wrong way" to hook up the 3 white wires.. Just insulate them well with heat shrink tubing, and electrical tape. If you mount the unit in the stock location, you will have to extend the + and - wires to reach battery. Again, solder or crimp well and make sure you heatshrink the wire joints. Put eyelets on the ends of the wires, and attach to battery.

Go to Amazon. Search VMax voltage regulator. Be sure to get the one with the ground wire. My vendor sold out, but there are other sellers with the unit for sale, but it might be a few bucks more - I got the last really cheap one.

Back