wheel modifications

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbostang

Reaction score
Anyone here know what conversions are required to install yzf / r1 wheels on a max.
I know they are running around out there, but cannot find out what mods are required.

Anyone here know what conversions are required to install yzf / r1 wheels on a max.
I know they are running around out there, but cannot find out what mods are required.

chain drive for one.

You don't have to go with chain drive but you need a donor rear wheel so that the assembly that mates with the diff is put on (usually welded) onto the R1 wheel. I have a converted GSXR wheel that was done that way.

You don't have to go with chain drive but you need a donor rear wheel so that the assembly that mates with the diff is put on (usually welded) onto the R1 wheel. I have a converted GSXR wheel that was done that way.

Were any other modifications required to the wheel/bike to make it fit.

I have seen several yzf / zx636 wheel sets for sale and was thinking I could adapt them cheaper than a custom set of max wheels.

Were any other modifications required to the wheel/bike to make it fit.

I have seen several yzf / zx636 wheel sets for sale and was thinking I could adapt them cheaper than a custom set of max wheels.

I try and get a picture up of the back wheel as soon as possible. The bike is still in winter hibernation so it might take a few days. I had to put an offset in the back brake link arm, but that was about it.

Most of the snow drifts have melted so I was able to get into where I have my bikes stored. Here are the pictures of a GSXR rim with the drive adaptor from a VMax wheel welded to it. This work was done by Pierre from Quebec. You can see in the second picture the double beads of weld to attach the drive adaptor into the rim. The next 2 pictures are a bit out of focus but gives you an idea of the amount of welding to be done. I'd like to see a stock GSXR rim to see if anything was removed from it.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 105
  • img_0177.jpg
    img_0177.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 100
  • img_0181.jpg
    img_0181.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 85
  • img_0183.jpg
    img_0183.jpg