When Will I Ever Learn...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
...to leave well enough alone.

I've had a new stator sitting around since last year, so, while the forks are off the bike getting new springs/seals, I decided to change it out...

Bloody hell... What have I gotten myself into???

I have a copy of the Yamaha service manual and it is vauge if not secretive about how to do this... Am I missing something???

So, I thought I'd give it a go...

Now I have a partially dislodged crankcase cover (won't come off), an oil slick on the floor (poor planning on my part), and wondering if I am even doing the right thing in taking the bloody cover off????

Can someone give me a step by step?????

HELP!?!?!?!?

DS

well, first thing you need to do is remove the middle gear cover. The wires on the stator cover run behind that cover and it's much more difficult to remove it without damaging the wiring.

Make note that on the middle gear cover the very bottom bolt should have a copper crush washer on it. That bolt goes into a oil passage so it helps seal that up.

The stator cover is held in with magnatism since the flywheel is loaded with magnets to make the charging work. Once you have it broken loose you will have to pull it evenly off. You'll also probably drop the gears out of place. There are a few gears that connect the starter to the flywheel. As you pull the cover off make note of them. The are in the left corner. They do only fit in one way to engage the gears fully.

Sean Morley

Thanks Sean!

After studying the ONE picture of the stator in the service manual, I finally came to that conclusion (about the middle gear cover)...

I also FINALLY realized that the pic showed the cover already removed and turned around to show the stator. I had been laboring under the assumption that the pic was of the cranckcase and that the stator was somehow mounted inside the flywheel (and therefore couldnt figure out WHY the cover wouldn't just come off).

....and yes, the gears have already fallen out. Luckily, there is a good pic of those in the manual. :)

Sometimes one needs saving from ones self...

Thank God for the VMOA and VMF!

DS

It's stuff like this that makes me REALLY glad that there are so many REALLY knowledgeable guys about this bike. Although mine is new, it's very comforting to know that in the years to come when things do go south that folks that really know what they're doing can help you out.

Really cool stuff. I sleep better nights. :biglaugh:

Regards,
Tom

I was lucky when I was changing my stator cover to a chrome cover, I had Sean, on the phone like when working on other parts of the bike to walk me through it, he has been nothing but a incredible source of knowledge.

We are very fortunate to have such wonderful people on this forum always willing to help out a fellow Vmaxer

Sean's willingness to help out with a solution to your problem in the most cost effective way that benefits your situation[always going above and beyond the call of duty
!] with little benefit to himself,says much of his character.

If only my local dealer and/or UPS was as helpful...

My Progressive springs were delivered today... Somewhere... Not to me...

In addition, I called my local Yamaha shop for gaskets. They said they had 'em... Drove all the !&*$! over there... They didn't...

Some kinda karma kickin' my ass today...

Done with Max for today (and really, for a week while I wait for another set of springs and some gaskets)...

Time for a beer (or 12)...

SIGH - DS

I have seriously thought about dressing up as dorothy! Would be some funny shit to beat him in a dress!

Sean

Back