Which is Better?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtlasMax

Reaction score
So.. which is a better bolt on option overall? The late model 2 pot R1 calipers with the machined bores, or the mid 90's YZF 6 pot calipers for the Vmax 92-07 forks/rotors? I have stainless braided lines already.

Mod Monkey is calling meeeeeeeeeeeee.................................

Last edited:
I would have to say the YZF 6 pot calipers would be superior to the 4 pot R1's. You might as well add SS lines and HH brake pads, and depending how hard the monkey is hitting you up, maybe some aftermarket masters!:punk:

Brian,
I've switched out the squeeky stock brake pads for the HH pads, what are the benefits of the SS lines and aftermarket masters vs the stock masters and lines ? Just asking ! :ummm:

Brian,
I've switched out the squeeky stock brake pads for the HH pads, what are the benefits of the SS lines and aftermarket masters vs the stock masters and lines ? Just asking ! :ummm:
Stock rubber lines like to bulge/ expand under pressure and the SS lines eliminate the expansion. It will give the brake lever a firmer feel and better feedback all the while looking much better.
As far as the masters go replacing them has to do with monkey bizzness me thinks but changing out to the 2003 FJR masters (they have mirror mounts) I have heard will (along with R1 calipers/ SS lines) bring the Vmax brakes up to today's standards.
I am no expert on brakes and if I have left anything out I'm sure someone will add to, correct or refute my statements.

Only came on certain year FZR 1000's and 750's.

They were not a YZF item (at least that I know of) as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Oh man, that's a cheap and awesome upgrade! 55x3 for better stopping power! Why wouldn't you want to do it? do the rears match up too, or is it just the fronts?

Also as far as rotors go, can you use wave roters?

You can use non floating Galfer wave rotors. You can use the Galfer floating wave rotors if you modify the center hub (counter bore the rotor bolt holes).

Just the fronts.

I only use front's anyway :) Very cool Sean, I might purchase the 6 pot rotors within the next few days, it's worth the $

The floating rotors (and R1 and other OEM) do not come counterbored (counter sunk) for the heads of the bolts that hold them on. The OEM vmax do come with that done. This allows for the heads to clear the fork legs. On our Busa conversions and the older forks it's not an issue since the forks are thinner allowing for more clearance.

For whatever reason the non-floating Galfers have those holes countersunk. I've pointed this simple thing out to them but not sure if they will go back and re-engineer the parts though it would fit all models if they did.

I've got calipers on hand as well as used OEM rotors but usually have the Galfers (or EBC) drop shipped from the warehouse.

Sean

The floating rotors (and R1 and other OEM) do not come counterbored (counter sunk) for the heads of the bolts that hold them on. The OEM vmax do come with that done. This allows for the heads to clear the fork legs. On our Busa conversions and the older forks it's not an issue since the forks are thinner allowing for more clearance.

For whatever reason the non-floating Galfers have those holes countersunk. I've pointed this simple thing out to them but not sure if they will go back and re-engineer the parts though it would fit all models if they did.

I've got calipers on hand as well as used OEM rotors but usually have the Galfers (or EBC) drop shipped from the warehouse.

Sean

Thanks, I follow.

I have some low profile head allen bolts which I bealive comes from kawasaki :)
They should do the job :)

In all the research I have done, as far as I can tell, the bolt on 6pots only came on 2 bikes(Yamaha anyways), the early YZF750R's and the 1994 FZR1000.

There are a few pairs on ebay right now...
The cheapest...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Y...0781282QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Y...5715993QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It ended :( I messaged the guy hoping he'll sell for a reasonable price, then I'll send them off to get powdah coated.

Back