Whom here has sold/bought a bike on eBay?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, will do. How about # of people watching...and did most of the bids come in on the last day or final minutes? (My bike is listed now and 30-some people are watching it...)

Most people just bid at the last possible moment.

I sold them for more than I could have gotten here in town.

Be open to delivering within a radius of your home town.

Have bought four bikes. (1968 Triumph TR6R, 1981 Yamaha XJ650, 1975 Honda CB550F and 1997 V-Max). Got screwed on each one. Will never buy a bike unseen again! No matter how many questions you ask, you will not ask all that are needed. The seller can hide or downplay multiple problems and give mis-leading answers. Pictures do NOT tell all the problems. The 1981 XJ650 looked great in the pictures. The grey metallic original paint was crazed under the clearcoat and it required repainting. Was not visible in the pics that were taken on an overcast day. The 1975 CB550F was supposed to be a show restoration. Multiple problems but the main one was the tank had multiple holes in the bottom from pinhole to 1/8" size. Was plugged with something and painted over. After two tanks of gas, they opened up and started bubbling the paint and then started leaking. Had to buy another tank and repaint. There is much more but don't have time or space to list all the problems. Have spent over $2000 on the Max but not all was to fix problems though.

Also bought a sailboat and a travel trailer on eBay. Again multiple expensive problems!!!

All in all, do not buy a high ticket item on eBay without inspecting.

I sold my RZ350 on E-Bay and it went smoothly. I answered all of the buyer's questions, spoke to him on the phone and did everything to assist him. I even stored the bike for a month and a half for him. He loves the bike and everything went well and according to plan.

Mike

Thanks, will do. How about # of people watching...and did most of the bids come in on the last day or final minutes? (My bike is listed now and 30-some people are watching it...)

I'm one of the people watching YOUR Bike!! I've been looking at a few (newer) bikes to get an idea as to what they sell for.

I've sold 1 Vmax on there and bought many high ticket items. I have been screwed a couple of times but most have been OK experiences. It is always better to look at it in person. The nice thing about this list is there are guys everywhere and most would be happy to go look at something for one of us if it's in their area.

Sean Morley

I bought my 97 off ebay in june 2006 and i would have to agree to see it in person first. The guy led me to believe it was in MINT condition not a scratch on it but failed to mention the back tire was worn out (not from burnout) and the radiator side covers had broken tabs, also the typical faded head paint. All in all it was an OK experience but i urge you to be 100% honest if you sell one. Buyer does NOT have to buy the vehicle upon inspection if they find something not mentioned in the listing but you will lose your deposit if you back out.

If you a very anal person then i would suggest to never buy a vehicle off of ebay.

I 'found' mine on ebay, and bought it at the last minutes of the sale on T-Day last year... after several days of soul searching and researching the dealer, I guess I got lucky, because it was exactly as described in the ad, maybe even better then I had hoped for...totally pristine condition for a 7 yr old bike w/3600 miles on it... I had phoned and talked with the agent who had listed the bike for it's owner, and everything seemed on the up n' up. I only sent a partial deposit to close the deal, then gave up the ballance upon transfer.

The dealer even trailored it down from north of Montgomery, to just east of Tallahassee, where we 'traded' the rest of the cash for bike and title in truckstop at about midnight-thirty a few days later. After a visual inspection, starting and listening, a quick spin around the parking lot, I trailored it on down to my home from there.

Never a moment have I regreted buying 'sight unseen'... again, maybe I just got lucky! But you'd better do your 'homework', if you don't you surely could get burned.

Uncle Philthy

I bought my '90 Vmax on Ebay from a Harley dealer in Ohio.

They posted plenty of pictures and had excellent feedback, but it was still a leap of faith.

I flew to the closest airport with my gear and the dealer had a guy waiting to pick me up.

In alll honesty, the bike was nicer than I was expecting because it's a 18 year old bike, and I was expecting it to have normal wear and tear.

Also, when the dealership found out I was going to ride it back to Texas, the said they would go over it again to make sure I would make it.

Nothing like a 3000 mile road trip to learn about your new bike.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the experience.

I bought my '90 Vmax on Ebay from a Harley dealer in Ohio.

They posted plenty of pictures and had excellent feedback, but it was still a leap of faith.

I flew to the closest airport with my gear and the dealer had a guy waiting to pick me up.

In alll honesty, the bike was nicer than I was expecting because it's a 18 year old bike, and I was expecting it to have normal wear and tear.

Also, when the dealership found out I was going to ride it back to Texas, the said they would go over it again to make sure I would make it.

Nothing like a 3000 mile road trip to learn about your new bike.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the experience.

That takes balls. I drove a used Jaguar 400 miles back from Austin to New Orleans, and I thought that was a leap of faith!!!

I bought my RZ sight unseen and had it shipped down. It needed some TLC when I got it, mostly due to the condition of the gas tank, but I got it running quickly and that bike was a blast.

Mike

I bought an '05 Vmax - great price, only 1300 miles on it, mint condition, perfect bike! VERY happy with the purchase.

Great story. How did the trip go?

It was a great experience. 4 days to get back. I stayed with friends from the ZRXOA board all the way.

I stopped somewhere in Virginia the first night, Birmingham the second, Bossier City then home.

The trip from B'ham to Bossier was the worst on my ass.

There is a post on here about the trip, probably one of my earliest.

I've sold three......all worked out great, just make sure you take lots of pictures from different angles and be totally honest about every little flaw (if any). There is always someone looking for something you have to sell, maybe not in your local area but on E-Bay you have the world to sell to. Also consider the Craigslist (it's free), just watch out for the scam artists wanting to send you cashiers checks for sight unseen.

Good Luck,

Whip

Latest posts

Back