Who's still riding? Winter = brrrrr

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went for a short ride yesterday, like 20 miles. Temp was about 30 degrees. Wore my snowmobile jacket and gloves, as well as the balaclava. Hands didn't take too long to get cold though, even with the better gloves. On the snowmobile the grips and flipper are heated, and behind a windshield.

Actually stopped at the local BMW motorcycle dealer to oggle the new 1000RR while I was out. I tell ya, those Germans know how to run a dealer. You walk in, they have a gas fireplace, big leather couch, counter with candy, snacks, coffee, tea, a big-ass TV, racks for your jacket and helmet, ect. They also have a demo for every model they sell, including the 1000RR. Within 5 minutes of me coming in and looking over the bike, a salesman asked me if I wanted to try the demo outside, couldn't since I'm not 21. Grrr.....

Brochure says 193hp and a wet weight of 450lbs. Man that must be a rocketship. So a Vmax, plus 80hp and minus 150lbs. :surprise:

which dealer is this? i may have to take a ride!

I ride all year.
sometimes i'll take my wife's car if i don't have time to get in gear...

Charlotte has nice weather but I work at night so coming back from work it's in the low 20's.

Rode today, sunny and 55* or so. Actually went and helped my buddy pick up a new bike for him ('05 1200 sportster) It's neat. Big ol v-twin thumps pretty good with the no baffled pipes on it. Still no rocket ship, but made for a good massage while I rode it :rofl_200: came back all relaxed!!

You Michigan and further North guys, here's a question.....
When my uncle lived up there back in the 80's, he always kept what he called a winter car, a pos that ran (usually rusted to hell and gone) for the winter commuting, and kept his good car put up. Wonder if you could, or if anyone does, do that with a bike??
:ummm:

which dealer is this? i may have to take a ride!

MAX BMW Motorcycles. There was a sign somewhere in there that this was one of three MAX dealers, the others were in NH and CT. Seriously I walk in, someone gets up from their desk to greet me and explain all the amenities to "warm myself up" since he saw me pull in on a bike, including the exact words "make yourself at home". They don't get mad if you sit on or touch the bikes, we chatted a bit about riding in the winter, it was nice. He invited me to stop by "most Saturdays" since apparently they have free seminars/clinics and stuff about riding, trips, maintenance, ect, all open to everyone. The salesman doesn't follow you around like a hawk, honestly it was how a dealer should be.

Compared to my local Yamaha dealer(which I despise, but I keep going there since the "good" Yamaha dealer is 45 minutes one way away), it's amazing.

Here's a clip from the website:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"No Commitment" Test Rides - We want everyone to know how much fun it is to ride the new BMW Motorcycles! Even if you're just curious, come in any day for a test ride with no sales pressure.

I'd heard that BMW was "generous" with test rides, and kind of wondered since this dealer wheels every demo bike outside, every day, and I constantly see beemers cruising around the streets near the dealer. Figured I stop by (I'd never been in there, and the dealer has been there for a couple years), and whaddya know, they really do want you to ride the bikes. Guess they figure the ride will speak for itself better than a salesman's pitch or pamphlets. The local Yammy dealer, which often has a gen2 in there, won't even let you breathe on a bike until they've got your money. I went in there once and just sat on a gen2 and the salesman had a fit about it and about threw me out.
[/FONT]

MAX BMW Motorcycles. There was a sign somewhere in there that this was one of three MAX dealers, the others were in NH and CT. Seriously I walk in, someone gets up from their desk to greet me and explain all the amenities to "warm myself up" since he saw me pull in on a bike, including the exact words "make yourself at home". They don't get mad if you sit on or touch the bikes, we chatted a bit about riding in the winter, it was nice. He invited me to stop by "most Saturdays" since apparently they have free seminars/clinics and stuff about riding, trips, maintenance, ect, all open to everyone. The salesman doesn't follow you around like a hawk, honestly it was how a dealer should be.

Nice, that's awesome. Sounds like a local Ducati dealership that is around me. No sales pressure at all. They let you check the bikes out, talk pro-cons, etc. and are very pleasant to deal with. I ended up picking one up and was one the best sales experiences I've had.

I've been riding the Vmax during the Winter commuting to work and back, running errands, etc. The only thing that has stopped me is the snow/ice/salt.

In Indiana right now it's in the teens in the morning (to work) and about 20s-30s in the evening (to home). I have decent Winter gear but nothing's heated. Usually only my hands will start to freeze after a while or the visor fogs. I really enjoy the ride, but people at work think I'm nuts.

Any other bike yetis out there...who's still riding? Sorry...guys in Cali, Hawaii, deserts, other hot places don't count. :)

Heated grips here! :clapping:

Compared to my local Yamaha dealer(which I despise, but I keep going there since the "good" Yamaha dealer is 45 minutes one way away), it's amazing.

Here's a clip from the website:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"No Commitment" Test Rides - We want everyone to know how much fun it is to ride the new BMW Motorcycles! Even if you're just curious, come in any day for a test ride with no sales pressure.

I'd heard that BMW was "generous" with test rides, and kind of wondered since this dealer wheels every demo bike outside, every day, and I constantly see beemers cruising around the streets near the dealer. Figured I stop by (I'd never been in there, and the dealer has been there for a couple years), and whaddya know, they really do want you to ride the bikes. Guess they figure the ride will speak for itself better than a salesman's pitch or pamphlets. The local Yammy dealer, which often has a gen2 in there, won't even let you breathe on a bike until they've got your money. I went in there once and just sat on a gen2 and the salesman had a fit about it and about threw me out.
[/FONT]

wow very cool! didn't realize you weren't 21, you gotta be a senior by now yea? Thought you were only a few years behind me.

Day off and 67 deg so I was riding today. :biglaugh: I pretty much ride all year unless it's raining or too cold,which is below say,45 deg. My days of riding in rain and freezing my ass off are over.Been there,Done that. A shot I took after my ride today.:icon_jook: Mike

IMG_0217-1.jpg

Last edited:
You Michigan and further North guys, here's a question.....
When my uncle lived up there back in the 80's, he always kept what he called a winter car, a pos that ran (usually rusted to hell and gone) for the winter commuting, and kept his good car put up. Wonder if you could, or if anyone does, do that with a bike??
:ummm:[/QUOTE]
Nah, I think most hardcore adrenaline junkies up here just get snowmobiles for their winter fix. :Snowmobile: (pos that ran usually rusted to hell and gone) yeah some people do still drive Chevy's up here :rofl_200:

i will be riding the zr 900 162hp for winter days:punk:as long as there is enough white stuff:snow:
attachment.php

Attachments

• zr 900.jpg
    zr 900.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 51
and as long as the extra set of pistons you get when you buy a new arctic cat arent fugged up yet... lol. i think sled engines are becoming way too over powered for what they can handle. lighter, faster more power.

they are a fun toy but bring your wallet.

coworker has a 1050 yami nytro and he said there are turbo AND supercharge kits that will take that motor to 350 + hp. thats nuts. i dont expect pistons to last long there either.

peace,
evan...

Mom used to have a killer sled ('97, 670 MXZ) until my half brother took it out and totaled it. She loved hauling ass with it. it totally sucked going from that to a safari, but still good times on tghe river.

Here is a couple of pictures of my nitrous sled and my folks. Just can't beat family times :punk:

Attachments

• kellysno.jpg
    kellysno.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
  • flats2.jpg
    flats2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 8
  • flats3.jpg
    flats3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
We still have great riding down here on the 27th parallel. I took these a couple weeks ago when I went for a ride and dinner. All said and done it was a $340 ride. Hotel, dinner, gas and beer. Key West sure is fun, but I spent a ton to enjoy a nite. I must say that there is nothing like going down Duval street at 7AM while the town is sleeping and opening up the Mark's exhaust. This was one time I was enjoying getting a red light at every corner. The sound was awesome!.And with a worn tire, it was spinning just by cracking the throttle. I was like a little kid again:eusa_dance: I just couldn't resist riding out into the dock area and going through Malory Square. When hours earlier it was difficult to walk.

Attachments

• DSC01185.jpg
    DSC01185.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01192.jpg
    DSC01192.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01193.jpg
    DSC01193.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 10
coworker has a 1050 yami nytro and he said there are turbo AND supercharge kits that will take that motor to 350 + hp. thats nuts. i dont expect pistons to last long there either.

peace,
evan...

You might be surprised. Yamaha sled engines are famously durable. The world record grass drag was set at Haydays last year with a 600+hp Apex motor. But get this....the motor itself was mostly stock. Stock crank, rods, pistons, block, cams, ect. The fact the motor lasted more than half a second after nailing it is testament enough. There's many users on totallyamaha that have more mildly forced induction on the RXs or newer sleds, pushing around 200-250hp that have tens of thousands of miles without ever cracking the motor open. Yamaha ran an ad last year with a RS Venture(the touring model) owner who had like 30k+ miles on it and still going strong, saying it had never failed to start or broken down.

30k doesn't seem like a whole lot in wheeled vehicles, but it's HUGE for snowmobiles. A 2-stroke sled would need to rebuild 4 or 5 times to go that far.

Back