Why a Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been a Yamaha fan. Yamaha is like the Chevrolets of the motorcycle world. Cheap parts, everywhere to be seen and you just cant kill them. The VMax is the end of the line for a muscle cruiser. Versatile as a drag bike that you can load up and cruise with if you so desire.

I would have to say the main reason is the V4. I was always a Honda guy, wanted a V65 in when they came out in my teens. Bout 22 years ago it was time to retire my brothers hand me down '82 CB 750F and I was almost able to afford a new bike, so I went shopping. Went to every shop around and and no bike (any brand) peaked my interest until I saw the my bike sitting pretty on the showroom floor. One week later I had a new Vmax, still have it and most likely will forever. I now bleed blue....

Same... nothing like it and then in 1985 bam. Also always liked extreme. When I stumbled across a 1994, in very nice shape, for $2500, I couldn't open my wallet fast enough.

I still might get a Hayabusa for speed some day but I really don't like all the wrappings. A Vmax looks like a motorcycle should look.

Only really a few nits - Not that comfortable on my legs, and needs a 6th gear, but it is a great bike.

Oh, always been a Mopar guy. Not sure if I agree with the Chevy compare :)

Last edited:
Was with the wife looking for a new bike a virago or midnight special then I heard a voice look over here but there was nobody there but a 1985 Vmax and true love at first sight
knowing nothing about it I Just had to have it and so I bought and never looked back unless leaving someone in some dust ...

Redrum, I prefer Mopars too but I like anything wild. Could not agree more about the 6th gear. I love the Vmax engine, it is simply brilliant.

One of the guys on the ship bought one of the first in Canada on the east coast he came down to the jetty one day in black leather top to bottom astride this beast it was all over for me at that point I wouldn’t realize one for many years after but that was definitely the day the fuse was lit for me

The V-Max reminds me of a big bad-ass bull or Bulldog. Always waiting for the next contender to walk into it's territory. No need to even test the contender because you know they have already lost. I felt the same way when I bought my 1984 Kawasaki 900R Ninja. If they wanted to get mauled, all they needed to do was ask for it. Still feel the same about the V-Max. I won't even waste the fuel to prove it.

I saw one at a dealer in 2005ish…. 1985, original paint, had the two brothers cans, the owner of the dealership was nice enough to crank it for me…. I was drooling. They were asking $5,000 for it…. I was just barley into my 20s no way I could afford it, but I loaded up my 78 goldwing and tried to trade it for the Vmax lmao!!! They wouldn’t touch the wing. But I was hooked…. About 6 years later I found a 97 that was sitting and seller wanted $2,500. He installed super trapp slip ons, shaved seat, custom bar weights, k&n air filter…. But he gave me all the original parts as well. Kept it for 4 years made it my own, sold it for $3,500 and used that for a down payment on a brand new (then) 2018 Gen. 2 waited a month for it to come in. It’s now my own lol voodoo cat delete, Nash flash, DD mod, k&n, exup delete. Now I just need a pcv and a dyno tune.

I'm probably one of the younger guys on the forum so didn't grow up knowing about the Vmax. But in the last few years I've seen videos and knew of it's reputation before finding one.

My 96 Vmax was my first muscle cruiser, and I bought it purely because it was about half the cost of an HD, and twice the power. Since buying it, I realized muscle cruisers are probably my favorite style motorcycle (I've had slower cruisers, a supermoto, ADV, and dirtbike.)

Since buying my Vmax and catching the bug, I ended up buying an 06 Triumph Rocket 3 with a turbo. I plan on keeping them both. It's hard to beat cruiser style & comfort, with sport bike-like acceleration.

Last edited:
Yep. 85 saw one in showroom...WOW, not rich enough then or mature enough, fast forward to 2017, 89 asking 2200, bought for 1800, fixed stuff, mostly brakes, then learned how to ride it...O.M.G.! I weigh 145 so about one horse power per pound, learned to ride at 14, now I am 65, just today I had another holy crap moment love that machine. YAMAHA, accept nothing less!

Not had a bike in 30 yrs (CB500T with sidewinder sidecar - driven on car license). In general m/bikes & I don't gell. Massive & deeply unpleasant change in my life got me thinking - How about a trike? They'd always intrigued me. Spent time looking but nothing grabbed my attention until I saw the Vmax one I bought. I'd never even heard of the Vmax until then (not paid attention to bikes post CB500).
That's the background, here's the answer to your Q: Looks. Stopped me in my tracks, jaw flapping. Then reeled in on the rep. - the 'otherness' - the nonconformity. Such stuff always grabs my ADHD autistic brain.
Bit by bit I'm getting this shysters deathtrap of a trike conversion into something worth while & rideable.

Back