Yamaha chappy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
Does anyone remember these? My brother is about to turn 40 years old and I went and got him one of these as a gag gift. We used to ride these when we were kids.....had about 5 of them at one time.....very tough little machine

needs some carb work !!!!! just got through that on the Max....here we go again !!!:rofl_200:

Attachments

• 1978_yamaha_chappy_ad.jpg
    1978_yamaha_chappy_ad.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 37
YES! I had a blue one when I was 14. My buddy liked mine so much he sold his Puch and bought a Red one. I used to live up in NJ and at 15 you could only ride mopeds such as the Puch, 5 Star Generals etc. All of them were 49CC and made 1.5 HP slower than shit and had no power at all.
Than came the Yamaha Chappy! 50CC with a High and Low range gear box. The pegs could also be used as pedals to make it legal for a moped. They were under powered also but in LOW gear you could atleast go off road a little.
I think after a year it had every fender ripped off, muffler was removed, and all turn signals were busted off! The gear selector knob wouldnt stay in gear, so I wrapped a small link chain around it and rigged it up to the peg so ya had to keep pressure on it, you could also snatch a lil 2 in wheelie revving it up and dropping it in gear. But it would still run! Very tough lil 2 wheeler

I totally forgot about those things! Before I was able to buy my Garelli, a neighborhood rich kid had one of them. We all thought he was the shit just because he had another gear. :)

I tell you having this chappy in my garage is like a trip down memory lane.......

We used to put on a smaller sprocket in back and one tooth bigger in front and do a little porting to coax a little more top end out of them.....we used to be able to get up to about 50mph (85-90 km/h) down a hill screaming the little 50cc all the way........never ever seized one and never had a motor or gearbox break and we kicked the crap out of these buggers

i was cleaning the carb on the chappy last night....i think i could fit this carb into the float bowl of the max carb lol !!!

315lbs 6'5" tall on a chappy = neighbors in hysterics looking out the window at me grinning ear to ear

50? Damn! I remember the Puchs and Generals could beat the chappy on the top end but the chappy would beat them out of the hole every time!

If I remember correctly, the larger wheeled mopeds would run 35MPH on level ground no wind.
The chappy would top out at 30-32.
I didnt have any money for a big bore kit or any expierence with porting a head at 14.
We just used to mess with the muffler and drill holes to make em louder and in our minds it was faster cause it was louder, kinda like some do here with there VMAX's:rofl_200:

you mean to tell me that drilling into the header pipe doesn't mean a instant 20hp gain?

what if install fringes on the hand grips?

you mean to tell me that drilling into the header pipe doesn't mean a instant 20hp gain?

what if install fringes on the hand grips?

IMO
The only time you will gain 20HP when you drill your stock mufflers is only if you have the V-Boost working along with seaman added in your fuel,, or is it seafoam, not sure. I cant really confirm the HP since my V-Boost is disconnected.

Latest posts

Back