Ricor intiminator + progressive springs, any other possibility than 5W fork oil ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to install the intiminators soon since I have to change the fork seals.
I currently have progressive springs.

I'm having an hard time to find locally 5W for oil. I should have got it from Ricor when I bought the intiminators.
Is there any possible substitute to the 5W ?

Thanks

Hi,

I wanted to install the intiminators soon since I have to change the fork seals.
I currently have progressive springs.

I'm having an hard time to find locally 5W for oil. I should have got it from Ricor when I bought the intiminators.
Is there any possible substitute to the 5W ?

Thanks

ATF II d or ATF III d automatic transmission oil will work like something beteween 5W and 10W.

I will check that :)
Will 7-10W fork oil will be too thick or still acceptable ?

Thickness is then equivalent to transmission oil. Any difference between transmission and fork oil ?

Sorry for the questions, but I like to understand hehe :)

Many motorcycles used ATF as a fork oil years ago. Thats why there was no specific fork oil years ago.
ATF is very similar to fork oil.
I think You will be fine with ATF.

I studied a little bit more after your advice.
Most of the ATF oil manufacturers are not indicating the viscosity, it can vary between 5w to 10w.
Based on some forum the Motul 1 ATF is rated as 7.5W and gets good feedback as a substitute for fork oil. I saw some in some shops here, so I guess I will give it a try with the ricor intiminator and the progressive springs :)

I studied a little bit more after your advice.
Most of the ATF oil manufacturers are not indicating the viscosity, it can vary between 5w to 10w.
Based on some forum the Motul 1 ATF is rated as 7.5W and gets good feedback as a substitute for fork oil. I saw some in some shops here, so I guess I will give it a try with the ricor intiminator and the progressive springs :)

Sure hope that works good for you. The intimidators with the progressive springs are a nice setup as to I have that with a 1" drop internally and love the responsiveness now!

Good luck and ride safe...

Do you think I can drop it in the tree without any issue ?
I have a 41mm fork and was planning to remove the air assembly in order to drop it in the tree.
I guess I should be able to work on the fork in one or two weeks from now, I cannot wait hehe

Do you think I can drop it in the tree without any issue ?
I have a 41mm fork and was planning to remove the air assembly in order to drop it in the tree.
I guess I should be able to work on the fork in one or two weeks from now, I cannot wait hehe

You will have to drain your forks completely. Not sure if the 41mm forks have a drain bolt on the bottom like my 43mm or you need to remove them to invert to drain. Either way isnt too hard. You cant just drop them in. You must remove all the old oil, add new oil, drop the intimidators in, then add the fork springs, then the spacers and lastly, measure your oil appropriately. Being you have progressives already, you should be using their PVC spacers. If so, you will have to cut them down I believe 5/8" to accommodate for the added intimidators. If you don't adjust them, your sag will be off.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Michael,
I was planning to remove them since I have to change all the seals, so not really a big deal.
Good thing you reminded me about cutting the spacers, I simply forgot about it :)

Thanks Michael,
I was planning to remove them since I have to change all the seals, so not really a big deal.
Good thing you reminded me about cutting the spacers, I simply forgot about it :)

No problem, what are fellow riders here for, but to share their experiences with their bikes. I cut exactly down to the specifications from Ricor and my sag is perfect! When you open up the top end, they are really hard as heck to get back on so beware when trying to get them back on so you dont strip them by mistake! Good to hear your replacing your seals too. I only had like 1500 miles on my bike when I did this mod, but I replaced them anyhow since the bike was already 5 years old. Better safe than sorry!

I know the thread is old. I am considering the Ricor Intiminators for my 43 mm front forks. No Prog. springs, I just want to make the front work a bit better. From looking at the threads there is some favor for the Ricors over the Racetech. at the current rate of exchange the price is a out $217. Anyone find a better deal? Thanks.

Firemedic,

Take a look at their site for the direct sale price:
http://store.ricorshocks.com/yamaha_s/45.htm

$180+/- (not sure what shipping is).

I'd like a set too for my '96 43mm's, so if you can work out a 2 for 1 special / discount, I'm in.

Anyone else interested in a possible group-buy for some price leverage?

Cheers!

Firemedic,

Take a look at their site for the direct sale price:
http://store.ricorshocks.com/yamaha_s/45.htm

$180+/- (not sure what shipping is).

I'd like a set too for my '96 43mm's, so if you can work out a 2 for 1 special / discount, I'm in.

Anyone else interested in a possible group-buy for some price leverage?

Cheers!

I would be interested................

I'd be interested to. In the past they have done some club special pricing for a few weeks.

I know the thread is old. I am considering the Ricor Intiminators for my 43 mm front forks. No Prog. springs, I just want to make the front work a bit better. From looking at the threads there is some favor for the Ricors over the Racetech. at the current rate of exchange the price is a out $217. Anyone find a better deal? Thanks.

Suggest you install Progressive springs first. You will be amazed at the improvement in handling, over the stock setup. Then maybe tweek even more, by adding the Ricors or Racetechs.
Cheers

It really depends on what you want your suspension to do. If you dont care too much about the wheel/ tires ability to maintain maximum contact with the road over varied surfaces, then yes, stiffer springs are fine, in addition to the inadequate, cheap to produce, stock damper rod system in the front forks. Springs DO make an improvement.

I only know my own experiences in riding a Vmax with and without racetech cartridge valve emulators and .85 racetech springs, and a Triumph Sprint with damper rod forks, then racetech springs with damper rods, then tuneable cartidge valve USD Showa forks. Night and day difference going to a valving system in the forks. And not just for pushing it in the corners/sweepers, but simply riding on the highway the road feels like the pavement has been cleaned up / smoothed out. The ride becomes much more enjoyable... but it ain't cheap, unfortunately.

I originally installed the Racetech valves without changing the springs. It did improve the ride a bit. Once I installed Racetech springs the improvement was much more dramatic. The stock suspension is under-sprung and over dampened. Installing just the valves, only fixes one of the problems.

RidinDirty, I hear you on the racetech emulator need for appropriate springs. For mechanical reasons beyond my current understanding, stock springs are touted as being fine with the Ricor Intiminator. Take it for what it's worth, but there is quite a bit of user feedback on the SV650 forums, such as this:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100825

The SV is known as a jack of all trades bike, especially for people getting into amateur racing. That makes it a perfect group of people to watch for upgrades to basic damper rod forks, IMO.

Anyone else interested in the possibility of a group-buy? I don't mind taking the lead in contacting Ricor to ask about the possibilities...:smileystooges:

Latest posts

Back