COPs Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am going to attempt to install the COPs mod but just read that I might need an inline resistor. I have a 1989 model Vmax and I purchased a set of coils from an 03 GSXR600 and harness from 05 GSXR750.

Will I need an Inline resistor? (I read all the posts on this but it gets confusing after a while)
Would be great if someone can can help.
Cheers:icon_rolleyes:

I'm running Denso coil sticks without resistors....have for 3 years, and no issues whatsoever. I believe you need resistors with the DYNA 3000 ignition.....if you have stock ignition you should be ok.

Hi guys, I am going to attempt to install the COPs mod but just read that I might need an inline resistor. I have a 1989 model Vmax and I purchased a set of coils from an 03 GSXR600 and harness from 05 GSXR750.

Will I need an Inline resistor? (I read all the posts on this but it gets confusing after a while)
Would be great if someone can can help.
Cheers:icon_rolleyes:

Yes you will need the inline resistor because your ignition is the older type.

G

85-89 models had analog ignition boxes, 90 models up went to digital ignition control. Analog ignition needs inline resistors or your ignition box may fail.

Uh-oh! Sorry for the misinformation!! :worthy::bang head::worthy:
dan-o, i don't think your statement is totally inaccurate...based on what I've gathered reading all the "COPS" posts from Birdoprey's 'til now, the first part of your claim is noteworthy--those running the DYNA 3000 do need the resistors.

I will stick up for Dannymax, if you look at the time he posted, he had not had his coffee yet.:biglaugh:

danny didnt have his coffee???? thats right the auto brew starts at 7am, so ya he was still in dream land maybe but even there he is pretty much right on the ball. i had no clue you needed resistors for the older bikes either. we all learn something everyday, time to shut off my brain for today bahahahha

Is the only downside for using resistors on all years stock & dyna ignitions , the added cost ?

Yes and no to your question. Rollie when buying yes there is a cost of $20 extra on my harnesses. $20 is really not a big deal, but $20 is $20. Now the upside is when or if you ever decide to go back to stock / part your bike out etc. You can sell them to anyone that has a V-max of any year or ignition system. That is why evryone of my harnesses have resistors.:punk:

G

no down side to having the resistors and you never know if you end up with a dyna, this way you will be set. i got a set of G harness, he does a great job.

Sorry I didn't take up your offer to buy set up off you Gannon, I am about to have a kid (wife is due in 2 weeks) so trying to do it myself as cheap as possible. If anyone can tell me what type of resistor I need I would be very grateful.
Cheers, Jared.

Sorry I didn't take up your offer to buy set up off you Gannon, I am about to have a kid (wife is due in 2 weeks) so trying to do it myself as cheap as possible. If anyone can tell me what type of resistor I need I would be very grateful.
Cheers, Jared.

I understand, I have kids too and a budget to live by

Gannon

Really hoping someone can help with this question about what resistor I need, its friday night here and I am hoping to get this bike going this weekend,
please, please,please:thumbs up:

It's been a while since I read up on the COPs. I did get to a point a few months ago to where I had purchased all that I wanted/needed (I, too, wanted to do this with the same gusto as you). However, I have yet to start the project. Anyways, check out the following post by the man who started it all: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=61286&postcount=39. Somewhere buried deep in the rest of the forum is Prez's conclusion of what the resistance needed to be. If memory serves me correctly, the CDI or is it the Dyna needs to see the same resistance as provided by the stock coils or else it fries. Prez's experiments saw that the resistor needed to be resilient somewhere between 10-30W (I can't remember off hand). So.....

Birdoprey's measurements

You need or should provide a total resistance of 3 ohms. So the resistor value that you would need would be 3 ohms minus the resistance of your COPS. The typical COP measures 1.4, but measure yours to be sure.

regards from my tapatalking android...

So to measure the resistance in the COPs I need to plug in the harness and strip each wire and put an ohms meter to each wire and that will be the resistance of the COPs? will it matter which side if the cops I put the resistor?
Cheers mate:ummm:

So to measure the resistance in the COPs I need to plug in the harness and strip each wire and put an ohms meter to each wire and that will be the resistance of the COPs? will it matter which side if the cops I put the resistor?
Cheers mate:ummm:
NO! only measure the COP itself, NO to the resistor . What matters is what side of the COP your red wire from your bike harness goes to. Not sure on all Brands of coils though.:ummm:

G

Thanks G, I got one on last night and it started, so about to put the others together now.
Cheers for the advice:worthy:

Cool bananas! Its running again, I used a 1.5 ohm 5watt resistor. Hopefully all will last.
Thanks again for all ya help :)

Latest posts

Back